Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help! >

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Grandma's Stash Needs Organized...help!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
Being a grand mom myself I can tell you what I did. I found a card template that had places to put information about the fabric and a place to put a small piece of the fabric or sometimes when the pattern was too big to tell me what the fabric was I took a icture or scaned it in and put a picture of the fabric on the card. The cards are about the size of index cards and i punched a hole in a corner and put them on rings. I have a ring for flannel and one for cotton and one for blends and polys. On the cards there was a line that I use to tell where the fabric is. I then took bins and labeled them like "cotton 1" through 5 in my case and poly 1 through as many as I end up with. I can then put on the card which box the fabric is in. There is a place to put the width and length on the card too. I just tested it out when my DIL need fabric. we went through the cards and looked at the samples and she found what she thought she could use then I went to the box and pulled out the fabric. I can take these cards to the fabric shop and match if I need to. I can email you a copy of the template I use for the cards. I print them on card stock. I can send pictures of how I have my boxes too if you want.
Lynda
Oh my goodness! This is a wonderful idea. It definitely appeals to me, since I'm moving to Michigan to study library and information science (LOTS of organization just like this). I would love to see how you have it organized!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:42 PM

First off - I apologize for taking so long to come back to this! I went through one of those phases where I was spending my free time reading or sewing rather than at my computer, so please know I do appreciate ALL of the replies and suggestions I received!

Secondly: I promise, Grandma *does* want this organized. Her typical request for a birthday/Christmas "present" is that I spend some time with her working on cleaning up the basement. I don't mean to come across as wanting to get it done before she dies (I really, really would like her to stick around for several years more), but frequently her reasoning for giving me fabric from her stash is that I'll inherit it all eventually anyway and she probably won't get around to using all of this.

Third, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the ideas! We are going to get started tomorrow afternoon! My initial inclination to pull everything out has been talked down and we're going to work on one bit at a time. I still have about 2 months until I move and I'm over there almost every day, so with some luck we'll make a fair amount of progress. I've roped Mom in as well, since she "owes" Grandma a couple days from a few years ago.

I would like to apologize one last time for taking so long to come back to this. All of your advice is being taken to heart - we're just going to start, and fold, and sort! Thank you!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
.......... already asked in lucky post #13!

It seems that the original poster, AnneG has never returned.

Always nice to help others out ... though nice too, to see at the least, an acknowledgement for all the ideas that are shared.
I am VERY sorry for taking so long to come back. I have been occupied with other activities since I originally posted and haven't spent much time on the computer. Please know I really, really truly appreciate all the ideas and help I have received!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I agree .Be safe -- do not go in with out letting some one know where you are. Avalanches can and do happen
I am definitely cautious of an avalanche happening. This is actually better than it used to be - I remember when I was younger, my brothers and I would play hide-and-seek at Grandma's and my favorite hiding spot was the MOUNTAIN of fabric she had in a corner!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 PM

I have to agree with Prim Quilts, this is how I would handle it, as you ruler fold, then I would sort the quilting fabrics by the background color.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Anne_G View Post
Secondly: I promise, Grandma *does* want this organized.
I'm glad your Gran is open to help! I'm also glad you posted this because I hadn't thought of the story about MY gran in quite awhile and it brought back some pretty funny memories.

It's too bad teleporters aren't a real thing, you would have more helpers than you could fit into the room if they were. I really liked going through my stuff and reorganizing everything, it's very therapeutic! And it's even more so when it's someone else's stuff! I hope it turns out to be a fun project for you & your mom & Gran!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

to Anne-G -

Thank you for getting back to us.

It does look like a massive project.

If one HAD a place to take everything out to at one time and start over - that would be kind of fun. But it does look like there are bare spots in the room to stack things in.

I think just getting everything folded and in piles will make it look better for starters. I don't think I would even try to do "fine sorting" at first.

Maybe "quilting" and "non-quilting" for starters. I think you will have a better idea of what should go where after you go through more of it.

Have fun - bet Grandma will come across things that she has forgotten about.

You might also start several stacks - for now, forget about what they cost.

A) I/She really really like these fabrics.

B) Hmmm - not too bad fabrics.

C) What was I thinking? fabrics.

I think you can plan on handling each item more than once because your ideas of how to store them will change as you work on the project.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-18-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
I started with boards, then to save space I ruler folded with a 6 inch ruler width. Easy to count how much fabric is there by counting the folds, 6 folds is 1 yard of fabric.
I hadn't even realized that you could count the rows of folds to see about how much fabric you have when you ruler fold with a 6 inch wide ruler. Duh..... I knew to count 2 folds on a bolt as a yard, why didn't I think about doing the same with the ruler folder? Who knows? Sometimes, someone else has to state the obvious.

Now, everyone has got me thinking about organizing my stash. I do have a lot sorted into bins by categories....UFO's & WIP's, batiks, Christmas, Halloween (I'm a sucker for a sale...nuff said), Fall, Kits, Judy Niemeyer, Jacqueline de Jonge, southwest, oriental, and backings. Now to get all that other Miscellaneous...didn't go with any of the other categories ruler folded and stored neatly. Not now though, too many projects too close to completion. Got to get that list of 35 down some!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM

My first question would be does gran want it changed?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I hate to say it, but her stash is worse than mine and mine's pretty darn bad. I know how she feels.
I was just thinking that it makes me feel better about the way my sewing room looks LOL