Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine! >

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Old 01-13-2018, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

Have you seen the light strips that you can attach to your machine? Good lighting can make a world of difference and most machines don't have enough.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM

If you have had cataract surgery, a film can form on the back of the artificial retina, causing an almost blind feeling to thread needles or to sew. I know because it happened to me. When I got my courage up, I visited my eye doctor who assured me I was not going blind, just needed a quick laser surgery to 'fix' the sight again... and he was right. Less than five minutes in laser surgery and I can thread a needle again!
Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
I learned how to thread a front to back needle this way. I put my left thumbnail behind the needle tip and gently press it slightly forward. Then I can see thru the needle eye (I never use nail polish) and with a fresh cut of the thread so that it is not fraying, I can just push it thru. Very seldom have to try it twice. When I bought another sewing machine, I was shocked to see that the needle gets threaded left to right! All of my other machines are front to back.
I've done this for years - no loosing threader or white paper. Thumbnail is with you all the time. Also, the part on your machine that you slide your needle into, I have painted bright red fingernail polish. Amazing how this works.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:16 AM

i use a torn piece of envelope behind the needle and it makes my eyes see better, too.

Originally Posted by maniacquilter2 View Post
i have the needle threader that came with my bernina. I would think that any gadget made for threading hand sewing needles would work on your sewing machine needle. I am referring to the gadget with the thin wire that you pull the thread thru the needle eye.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 PM

I use a white index card behind the needle eye which helps a great deal. Another thing I have resorted to is to remove the needle, thread it, then reinsert with the threading already done. We do what we have to do!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM

I make sure to keep lip gloss by my machine.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
A Viking machine I had (1+) came with a white mark embedded on the ankle behind the needle. Don't know if it was tape, but you can use a small white piece of tape in that spot.
Weezy Rider I still use my Viking #1 and the Viking #1+, and you are correct these both are high shank machines, with a white strip on the shank (the part that holds the foot I think is considered the shank) and though I'm not at my machines I do believe it is perhaps just a very narrow strip of perhaps white electrician tape.

Even with that white strip on the shank, I'm finding I need the wire needle threader that often times comes with hand needle sewing packages.

Getting old is the pits but the alternative is not great. I often use this quote to remind myself when the knees ache and things I used to do with ease take much more effort. "Do not regret growing older, old age is a privilege denied to many."

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-14-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:44 PM

I recently learned and have tried it several times that you can spray the end of the thread with hair spray. I keep a travel size can next to the sewing machine. I spray away from the machine and in my hand. It really works. I have mature eyes and have problems threading the machine needles or hand needles.