Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How long does it take you to do a quilt? >

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

How long does it take you to do a quilt?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'm getting a bit discouraged. Granted I've been distracted by my sister's death and all that's gone with it, and I did chose to start with a queen-sized bedspread ( :roll: ) which probably wasn't smart..... but I haven't hardly touched it in weeks. I'm afraid I'll never finish it - and I've been collecting fabrics/patterns for other quilts I want to make, so I have a backlog already. I don't dare let myself start another for fear I'll never finish this first one.

How do you do it? Does it ever take you forever? I bet you don't let yourself buy for quilts you may never get to.
You're not alone. I think most of us have the same situation. If I'm working on a quilt too long, I get bored so I do something else. Maybe get the fabric out of my stash for the next one or even make some new clothes. Eventually, it all gets done and if it doesn't, that's life.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Don't get discouraged. Sometimes life interferes with quilting. That doesn't mean you won't finish this quilt many others as well. Perhaps you can set a goal to do one block a day or 5 blocks in a week. Your final project is a large one but if you break it down into smaller portions it will be easier to accomplish and not seem like such an impossible task. I have one quilt partially quilted, one queen size top complete, two wall hanging tops complete, one quilt I started when I took a class at quilt camp a few weeks ago and One quilt I started since camp and am in the process of quilting now because it is for our associate pastor who will be leaving in just a few weeks. Some would think I am crazy and that I will never get them done but I will unless my health makes it impossible to work on them. You will finish yours too. Don't give up.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Don't worry about how long it takes you to finish. When the time is right, you will do it. Sometimes I have to put a quilt away for awhile and work on another. I have many projects going at once. It can get crazy, but I like to know I can switch from one quilt to another if I want to. I am a slow quilter, as my friends will tell you. But, that's the way I am and I have come to accept it. To me, it's not a race or rush to get the most done. Quilting and my other needlework are my retreats from the stress of the world. So I decided not to stress about how fast I am going. I find it almost meditative, I am in the moment with the quilt, the colors, the fabrics, the blocks as I finish them. Mindful quilting I call it. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM

I agree with those who also take a long time to finish a quilt. Last year I finally finished a hand appliqued and hand quilted quilt that I started 8 years ago. Of course, during that time I was also working on many other projects. But it was worth it and I love it. So don't give up.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:06 PM

that's why I have so many ufo, I remember I had one quilt(
(bow tie the old fashioned way) that I worked on in the car for over two years. another I had the blocks all done but it took me 5 years to get back to setting them and quilting. Just don't get bogged down . It's alright to have several going at the same time. You will get them done at some time.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your sister.

I think most people are not even aware what causes them to feel like crawling into a dark closet and pulling the door shut behind them or what causes their bursts of enthusiasm, energy and creativity. Life is all "ups and downs", at least it is for me. When I finish a quilt or quilt top that I've been working on for months, I have a bad case of the blahs, not knowing what to do with myself. My case of the blahs spreads out and touches everything and everyone; at the same time, I know very well that I've been there, done that before and I will snap out of it before I do myself or someone else an injury. (In the meantime, I worry about absolutely everything!)

I'm no kind of a therapist, but I think the kindest thing you can do for yourself is NOT worry about that quilt; if you don't work on it now, it will wait for you. Ditto on starting another one ... if you don't feel the urge, don't do it.

To answer your question, how long does it take me to finish a quilt, either months or years ... usually years. My theory is that my UFO's and WIP's are not going to go bad, start stinking, and have to be thrown out. They just wait patiently for me.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Ty

I had to giggle at those of you that have UFO's that are 2 years old. Shame on you - yeah right !! I am just now putting the finishing touches on the binding to a quilt that will celebrate it's 10th anniversary this year. Yep, 10 years old already. Seems like I only make antiques. I hand quilted it and have put the poor thing away so many times that I thought I would never finish it. Well, this year is the year. I'm really going to enjoy this quilt as it's become a 'good friend' to me after all this time. I've completed many quilts, wall hangings, etc in between, so am proud that I'm finally getting this one done. Don't ever feel guilty that you have UFO's. They are a natural part of quilting. Allow yourself the joy of going back to an old UFO, or starting a new project. The variety keeps us going.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM

I have three projects going right now and I need to get a boys baby quilt done before June 12th. I always have few things going at a time.
I am working a queen size for a granddaughter right now and decided I was going to stipple it. Well, after breaking 7 needles and in ther fprocxess of tearing stitches out for the second time I may get it done by the time she gets here in July.
So, we all have things we take forever to do.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:41 PM

I finally got to the binding on my Civil War quilt I started last September. I usually start and finish a quilt before I start something else. But lately I have been prevaricating. That quilt has been a pain in the backside. I used a D9P and messed up the rows. Then I undid that, rearranged and did it again. I messed up putting the backing and batting on and used SID. The rows wound up crooked. I ripped the whole thing out, realigned everything and this time spray basted with 505. I quilted it this week and was ready for the binding today. I bought, lost, and found the fabric for the binding, and today my machine wiped out. I spent all day taking my machine apart and putting it back together again. I tried sewing, it worked, but I decided to leave it alone until I am in a better mood to cope with whatever it does to me. This quilt isn't supposed to get done, but golly, I am in charge and will finish it this week.

Meanwhile I started three other quilts while I was messing around with this CW quilt, finished the tops and they are sitting there. I bought batting for one, but don't have the backing yet.

My husband calls me a quilt addict. Well, if that is what I am, so be it, even as frustrated I get, I am having fun.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
RST

I have one WIP that was started almost 20 years ago. I will get it done, one of these days.

Other quilts I can knock out in less than a week.

There's room for both extremes.

And I personally do not have a rule that one thing has to be finished before I start another thing. For me, that would really stifle my enjoyment of quilting. Sometimes my brain is in planning and designing mode, and other times it's more into piecing or finishing. I like to have options.

RST