Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your back ache when you sew quilts? >

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by brings
I have a bad back and find that i use a heating pad a lot , i think i have used it for more 15-20 min's what does this do ?
Mainly, it can cause burns and slowly dissipate the effectiveness of it. Heat, as well as cold (which you might try heat, then cold) will both help. They should be alternated. I don't mean stop one and start the other. Use good judgment and give yourself time inbetween. Know it's a pain. But please, don't burn yourself, and even worse start a heating pad on fire
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Tilt your sewing machine! Use something about 1" thick, place it under the back of the machine. You'll be amazed. Saw a 'Tilt-able' for $80, but I used old rubber door stops.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 AM

I have had serious back problems for many years, have had5 back surgeries but I'm not giving up! I like to quilt and do a lot of other things. I have no life if I give in to it.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 AM

Very much so. Another issue with the foot pedal is tarsal tunnel. Changing from left foot to right is tiring but I think it gives your dominant foot a little break. I am a medical transcriptionist as well and that is what I do. I also get up and stretch and take the dogs out frequently for breaks.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 AM

YOu could also buy a back brace they keep your posture straight. I had to wear one of those years ago when I worked at a bakery. It kept me from getting a sore back.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Just make sure to stretch your back to ease the stiffness: http://www.bostonyoga.com/chair_yoga.html
Thanks, I needed that addy. I'm in a wheelchair, and unfortunately I am not very comfortable with my table. I get back aches all the time, so this will help me for everyday, everyday things. Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 AM

When I was a retreat, some of the ladies were wearing a brace type thing. I tried it on and it was great, holds your shoulders back and felt kinda nice. I am not sure the name of it, but I know Nancys Notions sells it. Its called Body Rite. I often think of getting one. But stretching and moving around is good too and a must!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Here's a great stretch for your back: lie down (on a yoga mat, clean carpeted place, etc.--not a bed, which is too squishy). Bend right knee up towards your chest, grab leg just below knee with both hands, and pull up as far as you can toward your shoulders. Keep it there for about a minute (longer time necessary for good stretch). Put that leg back down slowly, repeat with other leg, then both together. Repeat four or five times. You should feel this in your lower back as a good stretch. Then stand up, clasp hands as far above your head as possible, and stretch your side by bending as far as you can from left to right, then right to left. Hold stretch, then drop arms, rest a few seconds and repeat. Last, put hands on lower back and bend backwards as far as is comfortable. Hold stretch for 20 seconds or so, straighten up and repeat four or five times. Do these every hour or so, and walk around during this rest time.

These exercises were taught to me by my physical therapist and have really, really helped my bad back problem. Go for it!

Dana
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 AM

Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this (don't have time to read whole thread right now) but putting two rubber door stops under the back of your sewing machine to lift and tilt the machine also helps with sore shoulders and neck.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:56 AM

It doesn't hurt my back, but it does hurt my shoulders. It's all about posture. I don't keep my ironing board next to my sewing machine, but force myself to get up and move around by keeping it out of reach (plus I get a at least a little exercise that way). Also, I don't sew for more than about an hour and a half at a time, then go do some housework. If I sit all day and sew, I'll be in agony by evening.

Switching your foot pedal to the opposite foot would necessarily change your posture, but only until you settle into that new posture. When you do that, your back will start to hurt again. Moving around is a must--at least for me.