Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your back ache when you sew quilts? >

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Nzm

what is the difference in the 2 shown in Amazon? I couldnt get the size for the $25 one? the other one is smaller? its cheaper..
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 AM
Nzm

someone may have already asked this, but what is the right height for the table/chair combination? someone told me that the arms shld be in line with your boobs, or should the hands resting be higher??? I like the idea of the tilted table/machine - will have to try that.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 AM

I am sure going to try some of these suggestions. I know I need to adjust my table height, and I think the idea of putting door stops under the back of my machine is a good one, plus other suggestions from all of you. We may all just get ourselves free of back pain!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 AM

I find myself slouching at my sewing machine alot, and I do have back and shoulder issues so my back and shoulders hurt like mad, I have one of those magic bags that drapes around your neck, and I use a lot, I even take it to retreats with me.
My shoulders bother me more than my back when I'm at my computer, I've been going for massages alot this year, but still struggling with them both, god I hope it gets better soon. I'm thinking I might need to go to the Dr. and see about getting refered for phyiso.
I also use the doorstop under my machine, and I think that does help a little too, also have one of those whoopy cushions and I can't sit on it for very long, it seems to aggravate my back more than help it.
I also am very short about 4'7" so I found that having my foot stretched out on the foot peddle was really hard on my siatica, so I have a little foot stool that I have my machine peddle on, I also have enough room to put my other foot on the stool, this does keeps my hip from hurting. I also have a small footstool at my computer and both feet are on it, it's definately not fun being short :cry:
I also have one of those weighted harness's and I do think it helps, just have to remember to wear it... :lol:
Old 10-16-2010, 05:39 AM

mine aches between shoulder blades and I have to get up and walk around and stretch...have one of those weighed harnesses but never wear it...gee whiz dumb
Old 10-16-2010, 05:43 AM

I have constant back pain and have had it since I was 13 years old. I was diagnosed with scoliosis ans sway back so I can't sit or stand for long periods of time.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 AM

I have my iron and board all the way across the room, so I Have to get up to press my seams, it makes me get up more and change positions.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Your hips, knees and elbows should be at 90degrees when you're at a computer, so I guess I'd carry that over to a sewing machine too. Your ears should be in a line with your shoulders which should be in a line with your hips. Either or both in a forward position will strain your neck and upper back muscles.
I'm a PT, I teach this to patients every day. But do I follow it? hehe. I do have a BackJoy seat in my chair now that helps too, and we won a 24/7 chair at a fundraiser auction, so that should help too!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:30 AM

That is a good idea. My back does ache when I am sewing. I am going to try switching the foot pedal to use my left foot.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:47 AM

I have my machine mounted in a cabinet at the correct height, (top of bed at 30 inches above the floor), and I use a knee pedal, keeps foot from cramping and shoulders from aching. Recently had a student in early 30's having neck and shoulder pain and when she switched to lower height for pedal, the problem disappeared. Ergonomics do matter for all ages not just us oldies. I am a former back surgery patient so I take frequent breaks which also helps. Good Luck looks like you have lots of suggestions to try.