Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your back ache when you sew quilts? >

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Does your back ache when you sew quilts?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 AM

I agree with the suggestions of getting up regularly and stretching gently. I've heard you should make sure you drink lots of fluids when you sew . . . then you HAVE to get up regularly!

Love the idea of a heating pad - sounds inviting.
Never heard of using a different foot for the foot pedal.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 AM

Hello from Eastern Oregon,
My Chiropracter told me that we should never apply dry heat for therapy. I often use a rice bag, heated in the microwave, as my "moist heat" application. The dry heat causes even more inflammation, he told me. But if a heating pad works for you...............
Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mizcott
Hello from Eastern Oregon,
My Chiropracter told me that we should never apply dry heat for therapy. I often use a rice bag, heated in the microwave, as my "moist heat" application. The dry heat causes even more inflammation, he told me. But if a heating pad works for you...............
My Chiropractor told me that to about dry heat! The dry heat also thickens your blood as well. When your blood gets thick like that it can cause a heart attack and clots, I know this first hand as I had a heart attack and my heart doctor told me no more dry heating pads. I now use ice for 20 minutes and then use moist warm towls after that.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM

I know how it feels when your back and everything else hurts. I'm going to try these suggestions and hope that they help me. Thank You for all your posts.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
Originally Posted by seamstome
That's why I bought my 6600 so I dont use a foot pedal.
I haven't used a foot petal in 6-7 yrs, I also have the 6600. I have an ergonomic office chair to use when sewing...and my back,neck and shoulders still ache after a very short period of time. I must be getting old LOL!!!
I am going to buy a machine that I can sew with a start stop button. What brand is your 6600? I don't want to spend alot of money but need to do this. In another thread they are saying we can fmq better without a foot pedal and using the start stop button but this is just another reason to buy one as well as I do have back problems. Just have to find a good machine for quilting with a speed control and s/s button reasonable. any suggestions needed.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM

First thing I did when reading these posts was to straighten up and pull my shoulders back.

I'm going to try using left foot on the pedal, worth a try. My arthritic knee tends to swell if I sit in one position too long so when sewing I get up and press or just walk around. May in Jersey
Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 AM

Am looking at a Janome Marie Osmond 200QC Quilters Companion. This machine has the capability to sew without the footpedal so might buy this. does anyone have this machine? Is it a good machine?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:30 AM

Please don't laugh but the only thing that hurts when I FMQ is my mouth! For some reason my tongue follows whatever pattern I am doing! Sometimes my head does too!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:31 AM

OK...I know you all are laughing your butts off!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 AM

The start button is great to give your foot a rest (left or right). I've had a Janome 9000 for quite a few years and love it. A while back, someone wrote a post about the "lumbar" supports that you can purchase at Dollar Tree. I bought one and it is great. It is a mesh-type "thing" that has straps and slips over the back of your chair. I have a secretarial chair (no arms) and it works great with that. I think it will fit most chairs. It has a nice curve and feels good behind your back. The catch is that they must have become so popular that the two Dollar Trees that are closest to me have sold out. I should have bought more when I got my first one. I keep checking back and hope they get more. Cannot go wrong to spend $1.