Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? >

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

I do! My dad made it for me. Just a simple one. Cedar lined. It holds our winter clothes.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes my sisters and I when we graduated we had a choice of a cedar chest or 100.00 My older sister and I took the chest made by Lane plus got a real cute small one free nice size held lots of birthday cards. Youngest sister took the 100.00
Old 10-20-2010, 01:43 PM

I also had a Lane cedar chest, in fact I still have it. It now holds baby items from each of my kids.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Yes, I have a hope chest made of cedar which my boyfriend (now he's my DH) made for me nearly 50 years ago. It held all the usual things to be prepared for marriage. Over the years, it's been filled with different things, depending on what phase of life we were in.... winter clothes; kids memory books; high school diplomas and college diplomas; and recently it got a cleaning out and now holds my wedding suit and some diplomas, afghans and quilts. Every time I open it, memories come flooding back with the scent of the cedar. We bought our oldest daughter a Lane with the cushioned top. She still has hers too.
It's definitely a lost tradition. :cry:
Old 10-20-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Well, there really is no hope left for my chest. The girls are heading steadily South. lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah my girls will be in El Salvador before long.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:23 PM

I thought I was the only one!!! At first I had a box with stuff in it. I always embroidered so had dish towels in it. But, I used to send for all kinds of free stuff from box and can labels when I was a kid. So, I had meas. spoons and cups, meat thermometer, recipe books etc. Friends of my parents knew I had one, so gave me some towels, etc. I used to use Betty Crocker coupons and had a service for 12 of their silver plate when I married. My 12 yr. old granddaughter is into quilting and has asked me to start a Hope Chest for her. She won some pink kitchen utensils at our last quilt show and those are already in the chest. I say HOPE is for a bright future whether married or single.
Verna in SoCA
Old 10-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

I had one in high school. I had dishes, flatware, blankets etc in it.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

I had the items, but not the actual chest to put them in LOL
It was sooo handy to have these items too :D:D:D
Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM

I didn't have a hope chest, but was lucky enough to get my mother's. She gave it to me, completely filled a few years before she passed on. I was amazed by what it held - beautiful linen tablecloths, hand embroidered tea-towels, a hand-crocheted table cloth made by my great-grandmother and my most treasured possession - a hand appliqued quilt top made by my grandmother. I plan to hand quilt it. My mum's hope chest is a treasure, lined with cedar which still smells wonderful after 60 years. I have it at the foot of my bed and think of her every time I see it. What a wonderful gift she gave me!!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM

I had a couple of US saving bonds that I cashed in when I was 15 and bought myself a beautiful brand new Lane cedar chest. I filled it with sheets an embrodered pillow cases, embrodered dresser scarves, cup towls, towels bought one at a time, wash rags, silver ware, kitchen utensils, a beautiful kitchenaid mixer (gift from my dad) mixing bowls, several sets of glasses, iron, k-bar paring knives, Also had an old trunk that I filled up. It was a lot of fun. My oldest daughter had a pine chest that I helped her fill, #2 daughter had an antique chest that I filled up for her, #3 daughter got a chest for Christmas when she was 16 and I helped her put stuff in it. I still have mine and all the girls still have theirs. Girls now days don't know what a hope chest is.