Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
disappointed >

disappointed

disappointed

Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 PM

yep been there & done that. Doesn't make for a happy camper but will make you more aware the next time. I now double & triple check before I proceed!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 PM

sorry that happened to you i have not done that one yet, but i dont pin sometime you might want to try spray basting it is alot easier and faster than pinning
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Um yeah, I've had that problem with the quilt I'm working on right now. In the end, I will have to trim about an inch off of the edges to make a clean, even edge suitable for binding. Yup, it's good though that at least you noticed it in the BEGINNING, and not AFTER YOU QUILTED MORE THAN HALF of the quilt. Lol, by then, it's just simply too late.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Dee

Sorry...Been there done that.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM

I did the same thing last week. But I had the fabric, I just started pinning and left too much on one end and didn't realize it till I was almost done pinning. I had to unpin and move it and start the process again. I'd like to say that's the only time that has happened but I did one other time.Grr
Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 AM

Thank you for the link about pinmoor
Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 AM

The quilt I made for my bed was 112 wide so I added 7 inches to each side of my 108 inch backing, for the LAQ I used. Imagine my surprise when I got it back to find that she had moved the quilt so that I have one strip of different fabric on one side only. I just put my label on that strip and pretend it was a 'design decision'. :thumbup:
Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
The quilt I made for my bed was 112 wide so I added 7 inches to each side of my 108 inch backing, for the LAQ I used. Imagine my surprise when I got it back to find that she had moved the quilt so that I have one strip of different fabric on one side only. I just put my label on that strip and pretend it was a 'design decision'. :thumbup:
That would be disappointing. She may have meant well, but obviously doesn't know about dividing the space equally on both sides.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 AM

Thankfully has only happened with a wall hanging and a runner. Had enough fabric for the runner back, but somehow got it askewed when quilting. Still sitting in my to do over drawer.

As far as piecing backs, I don't like the look. If you have three equal pieces of fabric for the back, or one large piece that is ok, but more than one fabric to make up for loss to me looks cheap and ill planned. I like the look of the one piece in the middle and one piece on either side of that to equal the full back. Of course, they are all the same fabric so there is consistancy.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Why not just unpin the side that's short about halfway back and add extra fabric. Might be worth a try.
Agree with you there. That is just what i would have done. Added on the shortened side only. You can also be creative and do a block of different fabrics and stitch that down the side to make a decorative one sided edge - your label can be placed on that edge also.

Good luck and sorry about the bad news. :x