Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-06-2010, 07:10 PM

I know you are looking for one-on-one help solving quilt problems, but there are an awful lot of excellent tutorials and questions answered on this board. Maybe your wife would be willing to sit with you, read through the tutorial and help you figure it out. Even if she doesn't quilt, between you both, you should be able to make sense of things and will learn a lot along the way.
Others have already suggested YouTube. I know what you mean about instructions. I have a video bookmarked about continuous binding and have to watch it - stop it - back up - look at my quilt - watch video, every single time I want to finish binding.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM

I understand your issue. As a nurse, I've worked with many a "male nurse" who faces the same thing. You know, if you're male and a nurse, you must be gay, or you took care of your dying mother as a child and now want to save the world, or (fill in cliche here).
Well, let me tell you, if I were 85 with a broken hip, I'd much rather have a 6' strapping male pick me up than a 5'nothing petite female!
And while we're ranting, why is a female nurse a "nurse" and a male nurse a "male nurse" anyway. Even actors have given up the "actress" schtick so why can't we all just be equal "nurses?"
Same goes with quilters. It shouldn't matter if you're male or female, you deserve respect when you're in their store, so if you don't get it, point it out. The sales PERSON will learn a thing or two, and you'll get better service next time.
It's when we get defensive, or retreat, or even angry that we lose our credibility. Stand up and be counted, and yes, you can change the world.
Ok, I feel better now.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I understand your issue. As a nurse, I've worked with many a "male nurse" who faces the same thing. You know, if you're male and a nurse, you must be gay, or you took care of your dying mother as a child and now want to save the world, or (fill in cliche here).
Well, let me tell you, if I were 85 with a broken hip, I'd much rather have a 6' strapping male pick me up than a 5'nothing petite female!
And while we're ranting, why is a female nurse a "nurse" and a male nurse a "male nurse" anyway. Even actors have given up the "actress" schtick so why can't we all just be equal "nurses?"
Same goes with quilters. It shouldn't matter if you're male or female, you deserve respect when you're in their store, so if you don't get it, point it out. The sales PERSON will learn a thing or two, and you'll get better service next time.
It's when we get defensive, or retreat, or even angry that we lose our credibility. Stand up and be counted, and yes, you can change the world.
Ok, I feel better now.
Well said, and Amen
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Chris, shame on them.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Chris, welcome to the board, first of all, and shame on those in the LQS for their treatment of you. Please don't give up on and we'd love to see pics when you get your projects done.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 PM

thanks Jojo
Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 PM

Chris don't let those so called " friendlyquilters " at those shops bother you. Just always come to this site and ask questions. These are True Friends here they all help one another and they will help you with anything. Oh there is a fellow on here from Ar. Eddie and a few other men too.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that some very talented quilters are men? They don't seem to "know the rules" which is wonderful and they feel free to just create - we can learn alot from them and vice versa.

Some LQS stores/staff are very friendly no matter where they are located - others not so much. We all adjust or choose where to shop and take classes.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by raedar63
Although it could happen I really don't think sereal killers hang out at the local quilt shops girls ROFL.
I just had the image of Jason Voorhees and Freddy Kruger piecing together quilt blocks by hand. lol.
OMG ROFLOL

I needed that!!!

I get wierd looks except at the local JoAnnes... I want to thank all of you for the messages.. sometimes it just gets hard to take.. I am a friendly person...
Glad I could make you laugh. :thumbup:
Old 12-07-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dave-Jane
You gotta roll with the punches and laugh. Everyone will come around. I was at one class and the guest speaker said, good morning ladies and I stood up and answered in my highest voice, "Good Morning". At one meeting I changed my name-tag from Dave to Davina! And just one other time, a snowstorm we probably should not have gone to a class in, we arrived at the meeting place, went inside, a lady comes up to me and says,"Thank goodness your here, follow me,". As we entered the bathroom she said there it is and it doesn't work, I looked back around the room at the anxious faces and decided what the heck and looked at the toilet. Just a stuck flapper valve-- no problem. As I said all was o.k. and the line was forming. The lady says they told me you couldn't make it, I said "I'm not a plumber-I'm here for the class---Good Laugh . Didn't get any discount though, she did buy lunch-LOL---Dave B. Take Care and just Do-It!
Thanks for the laugh!