Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't wear a thimble! >

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM

i use a coin thimble - it's leather and i can "feel" thru it - and it has metal on the finger tip to push the needle thru.. Still can't use a metal thimble or the plastic ones that will mold to your finger.

[img]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...NVDUmFB2WO6wQQ[/img]
Old 12-07-2010, 06:26 PM

This week I braved the 'scaredy-cat" me and am now attmpting my FIRST hand quilted wall hanging. I am using a metal thimble with the little dimples on the tip. It was awkward at first, but I find the longer I use it, I am getting a little more comfortable. I tried the leather one, but the needle kept slipping on me. I am using my index finger, as I seem to have better control with the up and down motion. Middle finger was hard for me to control. Have to say, that I AM starting to enjoy the hand quilting process!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 PM

I have found some of the adhesive thimble packages on ebay and I think I will order a couple of them to try them out....thanks for the help....
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Same here-am learning a lot. Must try again.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 AM

I'm of no help. Sorry. I can't wear thimbles either. When I try, I just end up using and hurting the next finger. One time I kept trying and had three thimbles one three fingers. Needless to say, that didn't work real well. So I finally gave up and went back to the bandaids. Good Luck finding a solution. Please share it if you do. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 AM

Drug stores sell little boxes of finger savers, like the tips of plastic gloves that you just roll onto the tip of your finger. I use one of the little adhesive dots and the finger saver keeps it on.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM

Wow, those Sashiko thimbles are really great! I googled images of them. I'll have to try one.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I have tried every type of thimble and can't get used to any of them... when I get desperate I wear duct tape and bandaids..I have tried liquid bandages..those dots, leather, plastic, metal, nothing feels good and I just can't get used to one..when I do a lot of applique or hand sewing my finger gets sore and full of holes...any suggestions...you guys know everything...
I use the rubber fingertips for office work you can get them in Staple's or any large office supply store cheap! They have different sizes to fit your fingers and one lasts a long time! I can't get used to the thimbles either. End up putting one on & then not using that finger again! Makes it kind of useless! LOL! The rubber stops the needle from going through my fingers and I have no problem using the finger I've put it on. Hope this helps you & that you heal quickly! That's pretty painful!!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
I have tried every type of thimble and can't get used to any of them... when I get desperate I wear duct tape and bandaids..I have tried liquid bandages..those dots, leather, plastic, metal, nothing feels good and I just can't get used to one..when I do a lot of applique or hand sewing my finger gets sore and full of holes...any suggestions...you guys know everything...
I have the perfect thing for you! I had the same problem. I use the surgical bands they put on your arms to take blood. These are rubber bands they tie around your arm so your vein will pop up. They throw them away after each use. If you go to the Doctor ask to keep it or you can go to your nearby pharmacy and buy one. Cut about a 2 1/2 inch strip and fold it over the top of your finger. Wrap a Band-Aid around your finger to keep it in place. You can still feel the needle but it doesn't hurt and saves your fingers. I was in the hospital for 2 months so I have a lot so I could share if you can't find one.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM

I use Ultra-Thimble - it is a metal oval that glues to your finger pad and it works well. - Judy