Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a price limit? >

Do you have a price limit?

Do you have a price limit?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Being on a "fixed income", I decided that the only way I could quilt was to get fabric cheaply. Most of my purchases are from thrift stores, remnants, yard sales, etc. I do buy sometimes buy from quilt stores, many times fat quarters if something catches my eye. I have made a few mistakes, buying fabric on e-bay...never again. Got caught up in the "thrill" of the hunt.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
With all the many discussions that have been on the forum in the past year about prices, may I ask if you have an upper price threshold for buying fabrics, that you will not cross?

And - because we all have different budgetary considerations - I would be delighted if everyone would feel free to answer without worrying about whether someone else thinks that their number is too high or too low.

That said, do you have a price limit? Or three - for regular cotton, batiks, and backings?

Non-US quilters, feel free to answer, too. We all know your numbers will be different than ours.
For me it depends on where I'm shopping what my limit is price wise. If I'm in a LQS my limit is probably somewhere between $12 and $15 a yard. At that price I'll just buy less than I would have if the price was between $8 and $9 a yard. If I'm in Jo-Ann's or Hobby Lobby my price limit is going to be about $5 a yard. I absolutely will not pay as much for fabric in Jo-Ann's or Hobby Lobby as what I would pay in a LQS. If I'm paying that much for fabric I'll go look thru my LQS.

So far every LQS I've been in has a sale rack. I have purchased fabric as low as $1 a yard at a LQS. I very rarely buy fabric in Jo-Ann's or Hobby Lobby anymore because I'd rather support my local business women.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM

I love sales and am constantly seaching for them. I don't like to pay more that $6 a yard. However I have gone up to $10 for a beautiful batik. I like to save up and buy from Connecting Threads because the prices are reasonable, the sales are great and the shipping is free after $50.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM

I'm not really sure. Usually I end up going to the LQS with five bucks and see how much I can get with it. lol

I guess I kind of do. I grew up poor and had to learn how to stretch a dollar so sometimes I don't like spending a whole lot. I sometimes cringe when I see a fabric I like and its $5 a yard. But if its something that I feel like I absolutely have to leave the store with that fabric I'll buy it. Though I'm more reluctant to get it and might wait to get it if its real pricey.

Someone had posted about a woman who was making fabric that was selling at $60 a yard. I said I would never pay that much for fabric unless it was kimono silk hand dyed and embroidered by a Japanese kimono maker and I really liked it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Before I start a quilt, I can picture it done in my head. In order to achive that image, I have to pay the price. I'm not one that can have mounds of material and have no idea what to make. In a sense the quilt it all done before I start. I'm the same with painting rooms. I can feel if a color is right or wrong for a room. Or what color would be best. I've been hired to do just that for people that have really no scense of color. Not bragging. Just telling it as it is.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 PM

My Mom always pounded in my head, get the most for the cheapest. That has followed me thru life.

When it comes to fabric, I don't buy anymore at the current high prices. $9 a yard is the high end of my limit and at that price I won't buy more than 1/2 yard. The quantity of my stash is ruled by the variety of smaller cuts.

It burns me to pay $2.75 for FQ's. Tho' now when I *have* to buy fabric that I don't really need, that's what I'll get now on rare occasions.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:25 PM

I've never went over $6 yd yet.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM

It depends on how loudly it yalls at me. And the bottom line on my check register. Really, I feel as though fabric is as necessary to me as food. If I need it I will get it.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 PM

I guess I do. I went to a LQS the other day and her Modas were priced at $11.25 per yard. I won't pay that. I hate to see quilt shops go out of business but fear that is what will happen. Too much overhead for most.
I can afford to pay for the fabric but have to draw the line somewhere. Plus I have too much in my stash already. Time to use it.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Actually, no matter how gorgeous the fabric is, I think $10.00 a yard is too much for me. Especially when one has to add shipping.