Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • So upset! >
  • So upset!

• So upset!

Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    It's rewarding at this time of year to see how many members of this board really care and want to help solve your problem!

Special, special place to be, QB. :)

Jan in VA
    Ditto this, I was just thinking the same thing. What a great place to be. What generous people!
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
    Give them anyway, with a card saying you have to take them home to finish, then you will mail to them---I have to do that this year--I have FOUR machines down!

I can relate to you. I have a machine I'm praying will hold up, with it's tension issues, long enough to finish a quilted fleece snuggle type wrap. Tomorrow I face the test stiching to see if the tension, will take the fleece, without going bonker. I don't have another machine to fall back on so I'm turning this one over to God.
    Andie
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I'll have to see if I can even afford the $100 for a cheapie. I'm going to go to the thrift store today and ask a neighbor if they have a machine I can borrow.

It's so frustrating!
    Just how far away is your next neighbor since you live at the North Pole? Can't one of the elves just tinker with it? :lol: :lol:
    Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM

If I make something for Christ mas that is not done by December first, they get it the next year, and a gift card this year. Works for me. I don't do voluntary stress. {HUGS}
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:17 PM

Jennifer,
    If you have a local quilt store that you shop, call and explain the situation to them. I am sure they have a machine there for the classes etc that they might allow you to borrow. It is worth a try. Other option, is to ask friends who might have a machine tucked away that they dont use often.....hope you find one to borrow. By the way did you ask the local repair shop if you could borrow one?

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    I have three tops pieced, and I was quilting the table runner for my mom for Christmas when my 1 year old machine made a growling noise and just stopped working. It took about 15 minutes for me to pry my 1/3 of the way quilted top out of the machine without ripping or pulling threads.

I called the local machine shop and it'll be up to 3 weeks before they can get my machine in for service!!

I'm just so upset right now - these are all supposed to be Christmas gifts and there's no way I'm a fast enough hand quilter to get two 45x65 tops done!

I took out my old machine, a White, and it keeps having tension issues so I'm horribly frustrated right now and my husband (as good as he is) just doesn't "get" it as to why I'm so upset. It's because I worked for HOURS on the tops and I wanted to give them to my BIL and SIL for Christmas since we haven't seen them in 5 years!

Thanks for letting me vent - I needed to get this off my chest to people who do understand! I'll be popping back on and let you all know if I get the tension issues fixed. :(
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM

try freecycle or craig's BEG- maybe you'll get a great FREEBIE! GOOD LUCK!!
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Just an idea...check with your local senior or community center and see if they will allow to use one of their machines since the other places seem to be booked. I teach at my local center and we have 6 machines available for classes. We don't allow them to be taken home but anyone can come in and use one at the center. Bonus...the tables are HUGE!!! :) Good Luck.
    Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM

What a bummer! I was working on 4 I Spy quilts for my great nephews and the tops are about 75% done. I finally decided it was just too much stress to try to complete them by Christmas Day. I luckily had bought backup pjs for the boys and the quilts will be fine for next year. I plan to get back on them asap after Christmas and get them done and I'll have 4 Christmas presents ready for Christmas 2011. I understand you wanting to give them a completed present. But stop stressing yourself, enjoy this wonder season, at least you have the tops completed. You can always mail them the completed tops. They will understand more of all of the love you have put into the quilts when they see all of the seams you have in the back and then when they receive them completed, they will see all of your quilting stitches. Sending you a Merry Christmas!
    Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM

don't you have a girlfriend who can loan you one? Or the repair place? Beg!!
    Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM

What about if you asked a neighbor, friend or family member if they had a sewing machine you could borrow...I think a lot of people probably have sewing machines sitting around they never even use!