Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilt question >

Scrappy quilt question

Scrappy quilt question

Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I want to make a scrappy quilt but I'm having a problem. I always coordinate my fabrics on a regular quilt, so using scraps are hard for me because they don't all go together. How do I get past this? I read somewhere to cut all my lights and darks - then put them in a bag (1 bag with lights and 1 bag with darks) then pull out 1 from each bag and sew it together. Is that pretty much how it works? I can use all the help I can get on this please.
This is exactly what I do... you will be surprised how those fabrics that didn't go together look so nice in a scrappy quilt. Post photo when done. good luck :)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM

You dont have to just draw out pieces with a blindfold either... if you take, for instance, *autumn colors* golds reds oranges greens tans autumn colors, maybe scrappy off white/tans for background, you can have a gorgeous scrappy without it being *blind mans bluff*....

You could use any color scheme.. 20 blacks 20 reds 20 greys 20 whites... these are all gorgeous scrappies too
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM

I love scrappy quilts and just grap and go with them. I understand your view because if you don't like it, you aren't going to finish it. Maybe a semi scrappy quilt might work for you. By that I mean one part of the block (the center or star points) would be the same color or fabric and maybe that would coordinate it for you. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by grandma Janice
Originally Posted by maryb119
I make "planned scrappy" quilts. i use scraps but I like to put colors that look good next to each other. I can't just grab and stitch. I'm picky I guess.
me too. no offense, but I don't like the unplanned scrappy look. I need to like what I do.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:06 PM

I love to make scrappy quilts. I made several bleuish quilts and for the scrappy ones I love to use blue or navy to combine and that ends up very well. Amazing how well blue combines all the colours
Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Here is my favorite scrappy quilt I recently made. I thought all the fabrics were very ugly and all I did was put lightish with darkish and turns out I love the results. I think that's the "beauty" of scrappies. Have fun with it. Sorry it is so blurry. There are some patterns in the fabrics and they don't follow any rules either.

scrappy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146580[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-146575.jpe  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:34 PM

I just read you should make 4 piles. dark, light, and medium light and medium dark. I have my scraps by catagory. Baby girl, baby boy, western, flowers, 4th of july, vegtables, woodisy , southwest, xmas, fall, haloween. I think it will work for me. I also have to get into what is not scraps to help put it all together. Hope this helps a little. It is difficult with Scraps.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 PM

That's the best way I know to do it, or else you end up getting matchy, you do it without even knowing it. They always turn out so beautiful. Just jump in and do it. I am dying to do another one, but have too many unfinished projects I have to get done.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:49 PM

thats the way to do it , but i have the same problem you do , i want to change things around !!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 PM

Make sure when you put your scraps in a bag, it's a brown paper bag, so you can peek while pulling.

If your really uncomfortable about doing a quilt scrappy, just do a small table top scrappy, and see how it comes out.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Scrappy can mean so many things. The most recent one I did used lights, mediums, and darks. And there was a method for combining them.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-81391-1.htm

Another one I did was a Civil war fabric scrap quilt. It would not have worked if there were novelty or children's or bright colors thrown in. However, it did have over 50 fabrics.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-39328-1.htm

I think that picking out a pattern first has helped me make scrappy quilts. Knowing which pattern then helps me organize my scraps and use them to get a good effect.