Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Yes, I made things for my grandmother and received them back when she passed.
I still have them stored and I may never use them, but I do cherish them.
Hold on to them, they have so many memories for you.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM

I think that you should keep them. Just put them away because you may be upset with yourself later if you give them away. Those will be good memories someday.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM

(hugs Marmie) I'm so sorry for your loss... YES! KEEP them all! I had the same situation and felt the same as you.....but hold on to all of them and in one year dig them back out. If you decide you don't want them, offer them to another family member..grandkids? Anyway, a relative WILL want them after some time. Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM
mim

I'm sorry to hear of your mother passing.

When my dear MIL died, She had already given me back the quilt I hand sewed and quilted for her. (She had this fear that a neighbor would come into her house and steal it off her dead body -- like the movie Never on Sunday)

I thought of all my relatives (she had none) who I could give it to. I chose my big sis because she had loved the design and she had children and grandchildren who would love and care for it.

Keep them put away until you can deal with the thoughts -- remember the good thoughts you had making them and seeing her with them. Then decide.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 AM

Marmie, please either let your sister keep them FOR you or bring them home and put them away for awhile if this is too painful for you to do right now. There is more of a chance that you will regret this years down the road if you give them away. There is a time to mourn and that is what we need to do but the time will come again to smile, trust me, I know. Whichever is easier for you to do, but definitely don't give them away. Some day you may need to hold them to cry and just feel the presence of your Mom in them, then again, when you are ready, they may bring you GREAT comfort. Just don't do anything hasty that you will regret.

My deepest sympathies to you. There are many here who understand your feelings. God bless!
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 AM

In May of 2008 I made my first real quilt. As I was making it I had no idea what I was going to do with it but then it dawned on me, I always gave the first of anything I make to my parents. I had many hobbies. From woodwork to handmade ornaments and everything in between. My parents always got the first and sometime the only one I made. So my quilt had a home. I didn't tell them what I was doing. After I got it back from the quilter, I did the binding, found a box that would hold it and some other things I had for them. The quilt,king size, was on the bottom. I let them know a package was coming, I'm in GA they lived in Fl, and it was a wee bit on the heavy side so be careful. After they recieved the box of goodies my mom called me. She said my dad had tears in his eyes because he always wanted a quilt. I had no idea. They loved it.
In Dec of 2008 my dad ended up being placed in a nursing home. I made him a rag quilt with a pocket on the back out of fleece so he could slide his feet in there to keep them warm. My dad loved his lap quilt. My dad had dementia and he got worse daily it seemed, but he knew he had a quilt at the home with him and would get very upset when he didn't have it.
In March of 2009 I was finally able to make it to Fl. to see my parents. My mom was in the hospital and I had to get there. I was making my mom a lap quilt for her 90th birthday which was March 29th so I took it with me to finish while I was there. My mom never got to see it. I wished mom Happy Birthday at midnight on her b-day and at 1:30 she was back in the hospital with pneumonia. She died on April 6th never seeing her quilt. I have her quilt. I have the quilt I made both of them. On June 18th my dad died. I have the lap quilt my dad so loved. I have everything I made my parents or gave my parents over the years with me. I know how much they loved everything I made them and I find comfort in having those things in my possession. Because they loved and used them I feel comfort in them. No I don't have all the things out or in use but knowing I have them is a great comfort to me and when I am ready I will pull everything out. My sister wanted everything but I told her no. That's a whole other story but suffice it to say I won.
Don't give anything away until you are sure you can part with it and not regret it later. There's no rush. Put them away like others have said on the board to have and go through at a later date.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Sheri
Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM

I am sorry for your loss! Right now your heart hurts, and seeing those quilts may hurt. However, if you get rid of them, , you can't get them back. Once some time has passed, you may find it doesn't hurt so bad to see the quilts and you may be glad you kept them. I would suggest you put them away for now and you will know when the time is right to take them out again. Time does not heal all wounds. Some wounds can't be healed as we know from the loss of loved ones, but time does help us be able to handle things we are not able to handle when the hurt is so fresh. One day you may find the quilts to actually be part of your healing process. God Bless you!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Marmie,
I just lost my mother this past July. I have become the recipent of anything that was handmade. She had several quilts that were made by her and my grandmother-who is also deceased. I packed them away in my cedar chest. I can hardly walk in the house without crying, her presence is still so strong there. I does get better, I promise. Don't get rid of them.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 AM

My brother and mother-in-law have passed in the past year and I was able to get quilts I had made and gifts I had given back and I feel that even though it was very difficult to bring the items back into my home, I will treasure them in the future and perhaps give them to other family members in the future, along with the memories.

The important thing - don't make hasty decisions.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:41 AM

I would get them and treasure them knowing she had and used them.

Put them away for awhile.