Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can you build up stash when life gets in the way >

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

How can you build up stash when life gets in the way

Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 AM

How about memory quilts using your late husbands clothing? You and your children could make it a family project. Memory quilts can be very comforting.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:29 AM

How sad for you but you must be brave - I'm sure he would want you to continue on with your life. I regularly check out all my local thrift shops looking for fabric and any other items I can use for quilting. They usualy have yarn if you want to tie a quilt. Also, 100% cotton mens and womens shirts and blouses can make beautiful soft colored scrappy quilts. Maybe you can collect items from your family to make a memory quilt. There are lots of areas to explore. Keep the faith.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM

First of all, my condolences on the loss of your husband.

Between hubby and I, we have 8 children. 3 at home now, but the ones out on their own do tend to need more help than they should. Of the 3 at home, all boys, one is special needs and that requires extra time, materials and money.

I have a coffee can. When I was saving up for a nice backing...I had pieced the quilt entirely of cotton men's and ladie's button up shirts. I paid all the bills and groceries in cash. I always put at least one 1.00 bill and all the coins from each transaction in a coffee can. I still do that. We lived in a two bedroom trailer a long time and now we have upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment. We now have 2 incomes as I work, but my husband took over 50% pay cut to keep a job close to home, so our income is pretty much the same.

I am so happy so many others were able to post some really great suggestions! My stash is in two large JoAnn's bags and that's all I pretty much have room for. Someday, when we are in a bigger house or when the kids go off to college, I'll be able to store it better and grow it more.

I still buy about 1/4" more than I need of fabric. Slowly, and I mean slowly, I have been able to add to the stash. But one rule is very important when your income doesn't accommodate for fabric and notions. Work on one project at a time. I know it can be hard for many quilter's not to have a bunch going at once. You'll find your dollar will stretch and you'll be able to finish more when you make only 1 at a time.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 AM

I have a lot of fabric I could ship to you as I have more fabric than I will ever use. Just let me know if you are interested
Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM

I wish to send you a true (((((HUG))))) from my heart for all your going through. As others have said, sales, thrift shops (cotton shirts size XXXXXX) :) another thing. Instead of concentrating so much on quilts maybe table runners, table tops, pot holders, things that will take your mind off what your going through and yet give you accomplishment in what you enjoy. PM me anytime as someone who really does understand. re: thrift shops, "Fish" (I think they are called) has the cheapest material. I was able to get jeans for $1.00 verses $5.00 at goodwill. (I cut up and make lap throws) when fleece is on sale I back. Sheets make quilt blocks as well as backing. Maybe make a doll quilt for your granddaughter? I have never done this, but am thinking about it lol. I wonder if a person went to a quilt shop and asked for scraps if they would let you have them. Maybe check in once a week for a pickup? I to, do not have lots of money. :) again, ((((hugs)))) You will be in my prayers.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Crowley7, God bless you for your kindness. If I could I would also reach out. Your able and you do. ((((hugs))) to you as well. many times over.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by crowley7
I have a lot of fabric I could ship to you as I have more fabric than I will ever use. Just let me know if you are interested
Welcome to the greatest bunch of people in the world!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM

You got it Madamekelly, can't say I have ever seen a better group reaching out to help another, I had to give up my adopting a soldier, sending care packages every month. I felt so bad then on here someone is in need ot red, white, and blue material, she signed up to make quilts for the home veterans in a special house districk in TX. I can still help, only on a smaller scale... If you or anyone else would like her name give a yell. (((hugs))
Old 01-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Madamekelly, I just notice where your from, My husband is buried in Willamette at the veterens cemetery, sm world,,, I am orginally from WA state.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM

I have been so overwhelmed with offers that I need to let you know that now all I need are friends to help me learn this wonderful craft full of caring people. So I can one day pay it forward with the kind of care and friendship offered to me. Thank you so much for caring. Deborah