Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!!!  Water leak - Wet fabrics >
  • Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

• Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

First....I love those cabinets! Secondly.....I had about 200 yards get wet when our sump pump went out. It was clean water so I put it through the dryer to get it dry before it got that slimy feel to it. Once it's dry, you've got time to wash it before you use it if you wish. When it's dry, it's safe from any more damage. Good luck.
    Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM

I hope you are moving things out of the cupboards and away from the water leaks...including your machine(s), ironing table, everything! You might turn off ALL water until you can get it checked out! Is the water line in the wall or ceiling? Are you in an apartment? I know they do things differently in California than in Iowa, so not understanding why water lines would be in the ceiling. LOL! Hope you get your stuff moved outta the way of the water!
    Old 01-13-2011, 06:46 PM
    Power Poster

Just to be safe I would wash it all. Sorry to hear about your leak.
    Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM

oh gosh.. I've been through that same sort of thing TWICE.. Once was too many. I'm sorry, I know how awful it makes you feel, and how discouraged just thinking of the hours of laundry.. I did wash my fabrics on a very short cycle, with just a bit of laundry soap.. and then rinsed them well, and dried them.. Other than being a boat load of unexpected work, it came out okay. To have to do it again would make me cry! I'd come help, but you're just a tad bit far for me to do any good. Hope it all comes out okay.
    Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Sigh....... It's happened again. I got a new "sewing room" just over 2 years ago because we had a leak in the water line that runs above my family room, where I sew. It is leaking again. Not near as bad as when we had to re-do the entire room, floors, ceiling everything.
    Question I have is many yards of fabric that got wet. these fabrics were in my new cabinets built since the original "flood" Can I just throw them into the dryer or do I need to wash them all. The hot water is currently shut off to the house because we just discovered this and called a plumber about 20 min ago, caught his answer machine.
    What would you do??????

I argee with Matee if it just got slightly wet dry it but if was wet and sitting very long I'd wash it. SO sorry you have to go through all this...Andie
    Fortunately this only affect about 60 yards of fabrics and not the thousands stored in these cabinets.
    The cabinets are sealed, I think there is water between the ceiling and the top cabinet and it dripped through. I think it may be between the top and middle cabinet as well cause it was a little wet along the seam. These cabinets are installed onto the wall.
    Suggestions??????
    Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
    I would wash it first, because you don't know how clean the water that is on the fabric is. The fabric can have a slight yellowish stain and if you dry it, you may set the stain.
    Agree.

The water filtered through the ceiling and possibly picked up some soluable chemical, and now also the light fixture.... :shock: :shock: . I might consider turning off the power to that light fixture to prevent any potential electrical short.
    Old 01-13-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I don't think DH wants to call insurance or anything.
    I am concerned about the wet insulation, wall board and stuff. I don't get off work until 3, it's only 11:15.
    I think, maybe, we should get someone in who has some big fans to dry things out.
    There was not a terrible amount of water, the floor should be fine, it is actually a very top quality vinyl flooring that really looks like a real wood floor.
    Dh has to get back to work too. I don't know what to do. I won't be able to call anyone else in until I get home about 3:15.
    I would replace the insulation and the affected drywall boards. Once wet they stay wet for quite awhile without exterior notice. We once had a leak from the shower - water barrier pan had not been installed under the floor tile when the shower had been put in by a pervious owner - and we didn't know there was water seeping down the drywall in the basement bathroom under it until I noticed tiny mushroom starting to emerge! If not for that, the wall was dry and unstained!
    Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM

It was just a small Pin sized hole in another section of the pipe. The plumber replaced a 3 foot section before my husband had a chance to ask him to replace the whole length of the pipe. Plumbers bill $125.
    We just took some of the molding off the top of the cabinets. there is a little bit of mildew there, which tells me that the leak we had earlier this year, leaked water onto the top of the cabinets. The cabinets, for the most part, have kept the fabrics from getting wet. Where it did get wet was water dripping off the upper molding of the cabinet and running down the inside of the door and then splashing onto the bottom shelf of the individual cabinet and also down to the first drawer. We have our own fans running to hopefully dry stuff out. DH does not want to call insurance in on this one.
    I have mentioned to him and will bring up again the need to put my sewing machine and fabrics and supplies onto the insurance policy.
    What a pain!!! I had planned to get some sewing in last night and tonight but this place is a mess at the moment.

We pulled up the insulation and have a fan running on it up in the attic as well. I am freezing cause the window's open, the ceiling fan is running on high and we have an additional fan running on the cabinets. It's not all that cold otherwise, just with all the air flow going on here.
    Old 01-13-2011, 08:29 PM

If that were me, I would wash all of it and HIRE SOMEONE to iron it!! :thumbdown:
    Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM

I would be concerned about the mold also. I also live in an old home and a leak started in the kitchen. I called the insurance company and they called a company that bought out huge fans that ran for days drying up the floor, cabinets and walls. They ran until the moisture reader stated that there was no mold and everything was dry.
    I love your sewing room! Hope your plumber gets back with you soon.