Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:03 AM

I think the old way is better, because, it was something that was handed down, what is left to our kids, nothing, because my daughter has no desire to learn how to sew or quilt. Back when I was growing up if you wanted to learn that was fine and if you didn't that was fine also, I like memories and this is part of that. I know how to hand quilt and machine but no one to pass it down to. I have quilts from my step mother, all she did was hand quilt, she never owned a machine.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 AM

I hope no one takes this post personally---just my opinion and not meant to be a slam to anyone.
Certainly this is a very personal issue. For me the true art of quilting remains in the hand pieced, hand quilted ones. The modern computerized designed and made quilts are always beautiful and sometimes even more artistic than the hand done ones. But in my mind, a quilt should be done the old fashioned way to be considered authentic. These are the quilts that are worth more than money can buy! To me it is not about how many I can make, but rather the amt of love pieced into the quilt that matters. After saying that----quilting is not a business for me so I am not in a hurry to produce.In the words of one of my son-in-law's whose mother teaches quilting and only does machine...."Isn't that cheating"? I left that up to his mom to answer and I am sure she did a great job explaining to him how modern quilting has it's own merits.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:21 AM

I don't think old is better. I think that if people had the tools that we have they would have used them. Yes they made beautiful quilts but I've seen some pretty spectacular quilts made with the modern tools. I for one would probably not do quilting if I had to do everything by hand.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM

We all have to change with the times. Look at the different types of quilts now. I am now heading in the more art quilt direction. Just what do you think those ladies of the past would think of those.
Modern technology has a way of creaping into every aspect of our lives. Why not go with it and enjoy the journey...I sure wouldn't want to have to cut pieces out with a pair of scissors and then - Hand Quilt?!?!? That would NOT be for me.
My Aunt who is in her late 80's, who used to do a beautiful hand quilting stitch, had a hard time going with machine quilting. Now that macular degeneration has taken most of her eyesite, she now quilts anyway she can.
I say, so with the flow, and I can't wait to see where the next 20 - 30 years takes us in the quilting world.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iamquilter
I AGREEE WITH iZAQUILTER. i DO NOT LIKE THE LONG ARM QUILTING. I prefer to hand quilt and do it all the time. I have three albums of quilts that I quilted for other people. I always take pictures of each quilt I quilt for others and quilts I make for myself or to give away.
Bea
I hate to see anyone make a blanket statement like that. Please just look at greenfairy's work before you say you do not like LA quilting. every single quilt she does is a masterpiece!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89362-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90639-1.htm
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57974-1.htm
I realize, of course, that we all have different opinions of what is beautiful but so many LA quilts can be true works of art.

BTW I do both! Hand quilting and have just started LAing.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:35 AM

I have a treadle and a featherweight and modern machines. I still like the tools: rulers, rotary cutters, templates. But you can't beat the look of a hand-quilted quilt.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:46 AM

I remember 50 years ago watching my grandmothers quilt. They both had electric sewing machines. Yes, they used scissors and a cloth tape measure. So do I sometimes. My grandmothers were born before 1900. They were "modern" women. One of my DGMs bragged about voting in Arizona's first federal election. They knew that the only thing you can take with you is knowledge, and they learned all they could as fast as science gave it to them. They both would LOVE to have the conveniences we have, and would think we are nuts for not at least learning to use them.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Banned

To me that is like asking if we shouldn't still be skinning and curing animal hides for clothing or spinning our own thread from spinning wheels. Our ancestors were THRILLED when they were able to get sewing machines, because it made their lives so much easier. If the object is to make a quilt, then in my (never to be humble) opinion, it doesn't matter how you get the finished product. If you enjoy the hand work, both piecing and quilting, good for you!! If you don't enjoy hand-work, but still enjoy having a finished product, then good too. I am strictly a piecer. I HATE quilting, but don't mind piecing. I don't particularly like it, there are other hobbies that I find much more enjoyable than sewing (such as genealogy), but I sure do like the finished product! So I piece the tops, then quilt by check to a LAQ'r.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Our world today is on the "fast track" - we have so much more going on in ours lives than they did back then. We are too much out and about whereas they were mostly at home and we were to hand quilt, etc. in their "spare" time off and on during the day and evening. We didn't have TV, the internet, cell phones, etc. Life was so much simpler then. We have lost so much, but gained as well. In order to accomplish the quilts we desire to make, we kinda need those tools today. As you know, there are many, many beautiful quilts out there much more sophisticated today. Life goes on and we simply adapt.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 AM

I started quilting in the old days (pre-rotary cutters) and I much prefer what I'm doing now. But nothing is stopping anyone from making quilts the old way or any other way they wish. I know someone who makes one small needle-turn appliqued item a year. I like to create things a little faster and bigger. But that's just me!