Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:07 AM

I prefer the hand method. I did finally purchase a RC but still sit and cut by hand with scissors at night sometimes. Although I did make the one quilt by machine, I did not feel the same about it as all the blocks I am doing by hand to repair a vintage quilt.
I recognize that each person has a personal preferences and as long as we acknowledge that and don't think the new methods are the only way, then it is okay. My daughter went into a local quilt shop while traveling. She wants to make a quilt out of her Dad's shirts and she wants to do it by hand. The women at the LQS told her they were smarter than that.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Another 2 cents. After all is said and agreed to/and agree. Let us all hope that the beginning art of quilting is never forgotten. They (the quilters) left us a legacy and I believe we have the obligation to keep the tradition known somehow. Are there books written that specically targets the art of the "Old" way?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

David: have been thinking about your question. I support new techniques and equipment. These certainly make our lives easier and less stressful. However, in quilting I believe they have given the false impression to new quilters that they replace having to learn the basics. Buying a ready made half square template avoids the task of learning how you get to the half square. Going directly to the machine we loose the learning of how fabric needs to be manulipated. Machines don't manulipilate. I often wish I could get a bunch of quilters in a class room with only a stack of assorted fabric, a ruler, some graft paper, cardboard, paid or scissors, a pencil and a needle and some thread. I find that when I mess up the problem is not paying attendion to the basics.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
As a child I remember watching my grandmother make me a quilt, that I still have some 50 years later. She had a treadle sew matching a pair of scissors and a fabric tape measure. Her quilts were/are amazing.
Are we now depending on
What you're saying here is your grandmother used all the new fangled tools of her time. The treadle machines made it possible to make a man's shirt in 1 hour versus 40 hours by hand. It was a time saver, just like the LAs are time savers.

Quilting is basically attaching 3 layers together so they don't shift. I'm not saying the old or new is better one over the other. But what I don't like is some members of each group snub the other. Both methods create wonderful quilts.

I have 5 old quilts of my G-GMs. They appear to be hand quilted, but machine pieced. I love and treasure them.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 AM

We all have to realize that our grandmothers were "modern women" in their day and age. When they discovered new and innovative ways to do things they took advantage of them. My GM kept her treadle machine forever BUT she had a new and modern electric that she loved as well. In fact sometimes my GM enjoyed new ways of doing things more than my Mom. I think there is a place for the old tried and true methods, lots to be learned from the old ways. I also think we all need to take a look at what's coming up new and different and take from both camps!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Quilting is an Art , just like a painter or any other artist working in a medium , there are many methods to get to the final completed "work".
I appreciate the full spectrum in the art that the gadjets , gizmo's and technolgy have facilitated.
It is each artists choice as to what will be utilized to best reflect their vision.
I do get a bit upset with quilt shows that focus on only what I call abstract art , alot or all fusing , all machine, etc. only that the organizers were not so specific in informing what would be shown.

Recoginizing that the current economy and cost of fabric has brought many back to the roots of quilting.It was the ( in my opinion) one of the earliest recycling methods, that demostrated the individual skills and artistry. This Recycling/re-purposing of bits of useable/viable fabric into something with new purpose is ( I beleive) one of the core elements , that I am happy to see making a .. revival.
Just my two cents worth.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM

I have arthritis in both hands, and without modern conveniences, I couldn't participate. There was a time when we would have woven our own cloth and spun our own thread too. While it is sad when old art forms (like kodachrome ) die out in favor of more modern ways, but harder doesn't mean superior, any more than easier means inferior. It's just a new, improved way of doing the same old thing, and sometimes it's more inclusive.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

i've blended the new (rotary ) withthe old, but i still hand quilt and even hand pc most of my keeep quilts, my give aways are always Machine pcd. but still most giveaways are hand quilted

yes...sadly, i've discussed with others that the machine quilting, although very pretty, needs to be seperate in judging, which at some shows still is not.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 AM

David:

I also think quilting has been too modernized. I like to sit with a piece of graph paper and design the quilt then make the pattern. However, that is not everyone's cup of tea. My family was raised differently - to the point that an Amish family in Ohio thought we used to be Amish. We always used what we had and made do with it. I have progressed to using the disposable cutting mats from the Dollar Tree as template material instead of using the quilter's template plastic. There is quite a difference in price. I guess I just prefer being primitive.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

I think there's plenty of room for all of us - old traditional style and the new modernized. There is a lot to be said about both.