Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 AM

I am all for the new and helpful stuff. I am still doing the cutting and sewing, which is the wonderful part. Why would I wear out my feet and hands peddling and turning. Will the quilt look different? lol

Different strokes....
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If I had to make a quilt just using scissors, cardboard, needle and thread even using a treadle, I have no doubt I wouldn't make one. To me that would be drudgery and not fun at all.
Oh, treadling is SEW much fun!!! :mrgreen:

I agree with the other parts...
Not only that, it does wonders for your calf muscles! LOL
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ann S.
I have a treadle and a featherweight and modern machines. I still like the tools: rulers, rotary cutters, templates. But you can't beat the look of a hand-quilted quilt.
You have said it best!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Without all of these gadgets it would take me too long to get the quilts done that I need to get done before I can't quilt anymore. I was a late bloomer in this wonderful craft and love all of these wonderful gadgets. I do admit that computerized quilting machines to me is too modernized (I am sure much easier though). My mistakes are stories to tell and retell to family members and quilting buddies.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM

When I first learn to quilt it was by hand, no sewing machine. Then I started using a machine to piece but still hand quilted. I started having problems with my neck and could no longer do hand work. I was a bit of a purist about quilting and thought machine quilting was like cheating. I gave up quilting for about 9 years.I did get back into it and now do no hand work. If we didn't have all the tools I don't think I would be quilting now. I think it would be great if everyone learned to quilt the old way but if not for the tools of the day I would not be quilting again
Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM

my grand mothers died quite a while ago but i know what each would say one would say i was spoiled for having all the tools and the other would say more power to you
Old 01-15-2011, 04:08 PM

I learned to quilt the "old" way from my mother and grandmother. I even inherited their quilting frames and grandma's treadle machine. I also inherited the arthritis in my arms and back they had and I really appreciate being able to make nice quilts for my family and friends on my new machine, and the wonderful invention of the rotary cutter!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Toni Marie, as far as I am concerned, you hit the "nail" fabric and needle right on the proper spot. I love the old way my mom taught me. I still make my patterns to scale on cardboard the way she did, allow 1/4 inch around each cardboard template for stitching, mark the fabric then cut out. I sometimes am a little off, but not often, as I compare as I sew. More fun this way as I start with a clean palet, add some color to it, and soon I have a beautiful, cloth painting.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:20 PM
kbs

I used to cut quilt pieces with scissors, but will not give up my rotary cutter. Used to have a treadle machine, wouldn't mind having that back.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by davidwent
I'm just beginning this topic to see what you all think.
(snip)
Are we now depending on gidgets and gadgets and modern machines too much?
I know we can whip out amazing quilts in days instead of weeks/months, I am just wondering if new is always better?
David
I know what you mean, David... Go cutters, long arm machines, whole lines of fabrics designed to coordinate for quilts... Quilting is BIG BUSINESS today. Back in the day it didn't even require a sewing machine, just a frame, and women didn't even buy fabric for quilting, they salvaged the still-good parts of old clothing and used that, or the fabric from empty feed sacks.

The good thing is that there is something for everyone. Those who love all the big new toys and conveniences can enjoy quilting their way, and those who can't afford all of the bells and whistles (or just don't want them) can quilt more traditionally. No one is excluded from this 'sport'.

To me it seems horrific to piece a quilt top and then hand it over to someone else to finish quilting on their long arm machine. I wouldn't feel like it was mine. I don't even particularly relish sewing blocks made by someone else into my quilt. I'm just funny that way. If I say "I made it", then I mean all the way. :wink: