Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting becoming to modernized? >

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Is quilting becoming to modernized?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
David, I have thought about that too. G'ma used to draw her pattern on cardboard cut it out, stack up fabrics and draw around each template then sit at night and cut them out. She used a treadle, which I now use. I think it would be great fun to get a bunch of us to each make a small quilt not using anything but paper, cardboard, treadle, scissors, etc. We would learn to really appreciate what we have but would know how to do it without the frills.
I started out that way and love my gadgets-real time savers
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
Your grandmother probably made one quilt at a time. Quilters now have several quilts in progress at the same time. Right now I have at least 12 I'm working on. We want to be quicker so we can use all our stash up before we die !!!
"We want to be quicker so we can use all our stash up before we die"...isn't that the biggest difference. Our Grams and Greats used up what they had..they did not go out and buy, buy, buy till they had a stash!! But..give me my stash any day...
Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
I love all of today's toys for quilting. I think the quilt shows should have a couple of sections, one for 100 % hand quilters, a section for folks who work, have a family and quilt for the pure joy of it and another for the professional quilter, who does it for a living.
Three different brackets, three different set of standards, what do you think?
I agree that there should be different brackets and standards according to each bracket. It would be a more even competition at that point.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:42 PM

I have a treadle that I use once in awhile and I do hand quilt certain quilts. So I do a little of the old and the new. I'm like a few other people I won't give up my rotary cutter!!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Just last Thursday night at our quilt guild meeting they were talking about the guild purchasing one of the cutting machines with interchangeable dies. I thought about all the long-arm quilting, etc., and commented that one day soon we'd be able to get up early and flip a switch, go back to bed for a while, and get up and have a new quilt ready to be bound.

To each his own. I, too, love my rotary cutter and Olfa board, etc., but I draw the line at the quilting. Give me a needle and thread and let me leave my personal touch on the quilts I do!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 PM

When I started quilting all I had was a machine, pencils, paper, and cardboard for templates. And wow, was I happy when I found out about using plastic margarine tub lids for making templates! They didn't get worn out by drawing around them like cardboard did. There was many a time when my hands were sore and just about blistered from cutting out pieces with scissors.

The things I wouldn't want to give up... a cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM

I do not think it has become too modern. I made my first quilt 38 years ago. It was cut out with templates and scissors and I hand pieced it and hand quilted it on a quilt frame I bought from a neighbor...the quilt frame consisted of 1" X 6' boards and I tacked denim onto the boards to sew the layers to. I made my second quilt the same way a couple of years later and then for the next 30 odd years did no quilting. I had been wanting to learn how to machine quilt for several years, but the when I tried to drop the feed dogs on my sewing machine, everything locked up. Took it in for repairs and my husband surprised me with an early Christmas present...a new sewing machine that is designed for quilting. I have been amazed at the new products available for quilting...rotary cutter, cutting mat, the grid measurer, not to mention all the new techniques. I have learned a LOT in the past two months and I am pleased with how all these"new"tools allow you to make a really nice looking quilt. Being able to cut the pieces accurately really helps to get everything matched up so much more easily. Paper peicing amazes me! The EQ7 program REALLY amazes me and it is definately on my wish list!
Old 01-15-2011, 06:26 PM

I'd say the modern appeals to more (additional) people vs. just the "old" way. I know I wouldn't be quilting if there was still the not-bright fabric, hand sewing everything, no cool toys. You still have the classic quilters, but you expand your market to the innovators with all the new toys
Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
I know I'm reallllly gonna ruffle some feathers here with this reply but I do think modernazation (is that a word) is taking alot out of quilting. Not so much the tools & the sewing machines because that is all I have ever known but the long arms. Sure I'd love to have one but will not allow myself to go to that extent. If you go to quilt shows now, almost 90% of the quilts are all done by long arms & it really really takes the creativity out of quilting. A really good piecer can put a top together & then send it off to a really good machine quilter but let me tell you, I have been going to quilt shows since 1992 & there is NO comparason to the quilts now & the quilts back in 1992. More of them were done by one persons creativity. Now it's who pays the most to their favorite long arm quilter. I know several long arm quilters & have only had 2 quilts done by them. It's just not the same as if you had done it all yourself. I feel like I'm cheating. I now see how my aunt felt going to the quilt shows. She hated it when machine pieced quilts were first allowed! So the old is the best for me!
I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. The quilting isn't all there is to the creativity. The piecing is a lot of it too. If the piecing isn't any good, no amount of la quilting is going to help it. Also quite a few of us on this board are elders and I'd say probably 50% of us have arthritis in our hands so probably can't hold a needle long enough to do hand quilting. I agree that I really like the hand quilted quilts best, but that doesn't mean that we have to give up quilting just because we can't hand quilt anymore. There is room for all of us in this median. That's why they usually have catagories for hand quilters and machine quilters at quilt shows.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Our grandmothers washed clothes in a tub and with a washboard. They cooked on a wood stove. They stayed warm (scarcely) in front of a fire place. Rode in a horse -drawn buggy. We certainly don't want to go back to that! We love our new appliances. So, why should we want to go back to the old way to make quilts?