Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any other hand quilters out there? >

Any other hand quilters out there?

Any other hand quilters out there?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 AM

I don't think you are a dying breed, but in this busy world most folks don't have time for hand quilting. At all the quilt shows that I go to there are two catagories, hand quilting and machine, there are still lots of hand quilting. I love hand quilting, just don't do it as often as I used to. I think you have inspired me to get out my crayola quilt when I get home from TX and finish hand quilting it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Glad to see that there are still some hand quilters out there. I piece by machine, but hand quilt on the most beautiful quilting frame that my DH made me many years ago. Hand quilting certainly does limit the number of quilts one can make compared with machine quilting, but it's what my mom taught me. Used to tie them too, but haven't in years so just might have to tie one real soon.

I do like being able to take hand applique projects with me when I'm on the go. I've done some machine applique baby quilts because they're cute and quick...and small. I would have to do a lot of sweet talking to my old, finicky machine to see if she would attempt machine quilting. :roll: (It's OK, I can talk about her like that cuz we're old friends. :)) I plan to try a string QAYG sometime soon to see how I like it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167074.jpe   attachment-167075.jpe  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM

I hand quilt only. It is so relaxing and something productive to do when watching TV. I just wish the quilt magazines would show some hand quilted finished quilts. I enjoy looking at the various patterns and I just don't see examples of hand quilting anymore. Everything is by machine.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by aggiebears
I hand quilt only. It is fun to sit and quilt while watching swim practice/meets. Waiting on Mother at the Doctor's office, etc. I just have to remember to have block cut out to take with me.
Just curious. What do you do with a quilted block? I have never quilted just a block at a time. Maybe I am missing something.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm with you - hand quilting all the time - haven't got the patience to sit at my machine and practice!! plus as you do it travels with me plus most of my work is hand applique - do use the sewing machine though but not alot!!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Right now I am working on my very first all hand done quilt and am in the quilting part now. I really enjoy the hand piecing and quilting even though I am am in learning mode with it and it is not as perfect as I would like to see it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 PM

I do hand quilting I have got away from hand piecing ut I do hand quilting and find it very relaxing.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM

my daughter , my self and my aunt in law we hand quilt . it is so nice we like the old fashion quilting bee,
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

I could hand quilt all day. So relaxing. I
Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 PM

I tried doing a wall hanging that my aunt designed years ago. It was crazy patch and I now have a whole new appreciation for what my ancestors must have gone through in piecing quilts by hand. I finished it without using a machine but swore I would not hand piece again! I do love to hand quilt and though I have bought a quilting machine, I still love the look of handquilting!