Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New craft room >

New craft room

New craft room

Old 01-24-2011, 05:45 PM

YES I do have one huge suggestion. I did this when I put an addition on my house for our parents when they were live and it really makes a difference.

Instead of putting the outlets and phone hook-ups close to the floor, bring them up to about 36" off the floor. Yes it ok to do that and you can also check with the inspector about it if you have any questions.

As we get older, those outlets at the floor level get harder to reach. By bringing them higher up the wall, it makes it so much easier to reach and you don't have to stand on your head to get to them.

I did that in the whole addition which consisted of a private sitting room, Laundry room and a handicapped bedroom with private bath, which is now used by my husband and I. No we aren't handicapped yet but we originally added these rooms when we were taking care of our parents. They are all passed away now so I have turned the sitting room into my sewing area which is a 12' x 14' room.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 PM

If you ever plan to add a frame and long arm machine you'll need to save some space for it. You'll need a wall about 14 feet long and then 7-9 feet of space from the wall out. You have to allow enough room to scootch around one end to get to the back of the frame and you'll need an area about 2-3 feet on the front side to work in at the front of it. There's nothing worse than setting up your whole room and then thinking of getting a frame as an after thought. Ask me how I know..lol!

Rose
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM

ELECTRICAL. lots of light yes, but your outlets clustered with their own brakers, and not at the bottom of the wall but halfway up higher, as you age you will relate-lol. Mine are just at the back of the tables attop their line. Most
definately custom cabinets help a lot, and they can be cheaper than most, even try second hand ones or recycled or
freecycle from the list in your area, room to walk around, ask DH to make it a little longer if you ever plan to get a quilting frame. you will need the room. Pet door to keep
them out. paint it YOUR favorite color and enjoy it each day...make a mess, clean up that mess daily or project time frame. ENJOY and find some nice flooring, no carpet. Have a corner for your sewing office as well, keep your online friends close. ORGANIZATION ORGANIZATION
Old 01-24-2011, 06:22 PM

I have just a few comments/suggestions:
1. Floor tile- If the grouting in between the tile is too wide the wheels on the rolling chair stick in them.
2. If you want carpet, I would suggest carpet tiles. Rave Carpet(Its on line and very nice to work with even sends you free samples in your color choice) sells 18 inch squares. They sell "end of bolt" :) tiles for a steal. They sell left overs from business sales. It is low pile and comes in lots of colors. Dont glue the tiles on the floor, if you have a spill, you can just pull up that tile, wash it up in the sink, let it dry and put it back.
3. To save some $ on cabinets and the rest of the room too check to see if you have have a Habitat for Humanity Re-store near you. They sell extras left over from house builds dirt cheep. Some of the items I have seen at our local store are paint, tiles, flooring, cabinets, doors,nails, wallboard, electrical stuff, sinks, well every thing needed to build a house, and its all new.
4.I had a friend with a home built island in her garage. The ends were two old dressers with lockable wheels and she had three sheets of painted plywood stacked on top. In the empty space between the dressers she had saw horses. She used the small island as a cutting/work table. She would pull out the saw horses and slide the top boards off to make a large table for more people or to lay out a quilt to pin it. The saw horses were built up so the three table tops were the same height. It was so nice.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Lots of good ideas here. If you have the room, have an extra table set up for a quilting buddy. It's much more fun with two, maybe once a week, not everyday though.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:41 PM

I read your answers back,I am tall too,but somehow I am having a hard time visualizing your set up of folding table on large cans ..as your cutting table..do u have aphoto u could share ?
Cindy
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM

I sure wish I could have had some of this info before turning our office into my sewing room. Adding on a room would be so much better as far as adding extra outlets and lighting. I used a lot of 2nd hand: countertops from our kitchen remodel, a desk and hutch for bases for the countertops. I need to switch out my sewing space as it is not big enough.

Today this closet is stuffed full!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167468[/ATTACH]

I have a much larger ironing board now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167471[/ATTACH]

This is our old peninsula counter top - 10' long. Notice the extra wood flooring stored to the right.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]167472[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-167463.jpe   attachment-167466.jpe   attachment-167467.jpe  
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
YES I do have one huge suggestion. I did this when I put an addition on my house for our parents when they were live and it really makes a difference.

Instead of putting the outlets and phone hook-ups close to the floor, bring them up to about 36" off the floor. Yes it ok to do that and you can also check with the inspector about it if you have any questions.

As we get older, those outlets at the floor level get harder to reach. By bringing them higher up the wall, it makes it so much easier to reach and you don't have to stand on your head to get to them.

I did that in the whole addition which consisted of a private sitting room, Laundry room and a handicapped bedroom with private bath, which is now used by my husband and I. No we aren't handicapped yet but we originally added these rooms when we were taking care of our parents. They are all passed away now so I have turned the sitting room into my sewing area which is a 12' x 14' room.
Mine are all chair rail height in my room too...really makes a difference!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM

[quote=crashnquilt]I think tile or linoleum flooring is the best. If you drop something you can grab a Swiffer or damp rag real quick, wipe over the area and find it. Also, just easier to keep clean.

I agree with crashnquilt - my hubby and I put down a wood look laminate flooring in the bedroom we re-did for my sewing room. I just love it. It is so amazing how much thread and fabric snips end up on the floor! It is so easy to vacuum up with my cordless Shark vacuum.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Make it big enough to add a long arm. They take up sooooo much room, but worth every space.