Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Blocks of the Month and Week
  • FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION >
  • FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

• FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by shortfidler
    are there any sewing direction available for this star. i have never paper pieced or sewn anything this complicated.
    Before you start, you might want to watch some paperpiecing tutorial videos or go to the link at quilterscache in the first post of this thread for some instruction and practice. It's sort of like a puzzle. Place you fabric on the #1 spot. I fold my paper back on the stitching line between 1 & 2 and trim it to 1/4". Then place your #2 fabric right sides together on the #1 fabric and stitch on the line between the two numbers. Open it up, press and you're ready to go on to #3.

There are lots of tutorials on the internet to help you. Good luck. If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will be able to help. I'm certainly no expert at paperpiecing, and probably never will be.
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM

I am wondering of the freezer paper .... using that method, the pattern is on top the freezer paper and sewn without thread... does the shiney side face down or up when doing this??
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I am wondering of the freezer paper .... using that method, the pattern is on top the freezer paper and sewn without thread... does the shiney side face down or up when doing this??
    The shiny side is up and you can iron your first piece of fabric to it to hold it down. The printed pattern, as with regular paperpiecing, is to the bottom. When I do it, as I finish stitching two fabrics together, I iron the newest piece to the freezer paper and it holds everything together nicely.
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
    The shiny side is up and you can iron your first piece of fabric to it to hold it down. The printed pattern, as with regular paperpiecing, is to the bottom. When I do it, as I finish stitching two fabrics together, I iron the newest piece to the freezer paper and it holds everything together nicely.
    Ok, so do you think I did it right when sewing the pattern lines? I had the pattern piece on top of the shiney .. now I can put the pattern piece on the bottom? I have a feeling I may of done it backwards!
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laura F
    Originally Posted by mstandridge
    here is my version I want to keep my stars to a very minimum of fabrics so I cut out some of the points, also I am not a very good PP.
    Very nice job. I love your colors. You seem to do a good job at pp. If you have time, you should try it again with all the pieces. Of course that is easy for me to say... I have only printed the pattern so far. :-) Keep up the beautiful work.
    thanks for the challenege I have to try it again it really was not that difficult just want a very simple look to my stars with a minimum of fabrics but am going to add at the least a teal to give it more dimension will try to get it doneover the weekend going to the fabric shop on friday where i bought all of these hope to find more in the fabric line if not will serch the internet.
    Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Ok, so do you think I did it right when sewing the pattern lines? I had the pattern piece on top of the shiney .. now I can put the pattern piece on the bottom? I have a feeling I may of done it backwards!
    Wait a minute. I think I led you astray. Let's start over. I have my pattern, shiny side up. I lay my fabric for piece 1 on the freezer paper and iron it down. I turn it over (so the dull side of the freezer paper is up). I fold back the paper on the first stitching line and trim the fabric to 1/4". I then put the second piece of fabric right side facing the right side of the first piece of fabric. The second piece of fabric is on the bottom, the first piece is on top of that with the wrong side facing up and the dull side of the freezer paper is basically up except it's folded back at the stitching line so that makes the shiny side up on most of the paper. Is that clear as mud??? Anyway, the two pieces of fabric being sewn together are on the bottom and the pattern is on the top. As you can tell, I'm not a teacher - I have trouble explaining things.
    Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Wait a minute. I think I led you astray. Let's start over. I have my pattern, shiny side up. I lay my fabric for piece 1 on the freezer paper and iron it down. I turn it over (so the dull side of the freezer paper is up). I fold back the paper on the first stitching line and trim the fabric to 1/4". I then put the second piece of fabric right side facing the right side of the first piece of fabric. The second piece of fabric is on the bottom, the first piece is on top of that with the wrong side facing up and the dull side of the freezer paper is basically up except it's folded back at the stitching line so that makes the shiny side up on most of the paper. Is that clear as mud??? Anyway, the two pieces of fabric being sewn together are on the bottom and the pattern is on the top. As you can tell, I'm not a teacher - I have trouble explaining things.
    Thank You Judy! I am just reading this and I think I understand now. You are so kind to explain again to me!

Sharon
    Old 02-19-2011, 12:01 AM

Here is my block. Great pattern thanks for choosing this one!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-165978.jpe  
    Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Here is my block. Great pattern thanks for choosing this one!
    Beautiful - I love how the center star "pops"
    Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 AM

My block came out to only 12". What is the unfinished size of this block supposed to be. I'm going to redo mine and hope it doesn't come out to 12" again.