Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 PM

TG, three UFOs finished? Wow and a big Toot Toot!. I've got to say that the Boom quilt turned out extremely well. What s good eye you have for selecting fabric. Love the way you sashed the blocks. And the scrappy one really speaks to me. Scrappy is my favorite. Nice!

Congratulations on all three finishes! l
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
#2 - got my Boomerang 15 finally quilted and bound. Hard to take a good picture of stripes - but just love what everyone had done with the fabric and how fun it turned out.
#3 - got this one quilted and bound and done! very scrappy and fun.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
I just clicked on this group as I have so many ufo's I could seriously reside in Roswell!
I love all of the finished quilts!!

Rob,
On your hanging system, would you mind taking a pic to share how it looks? The "floating" is very intriguing, and my brain often can't picture what the subject actually looks like. I bet it's way cool like your fiber art quilts are.
Luckily my hubby's brain clicks much better than mine in these cases. And he's a great guy to help me out.
Regards,
Kif
kiffie, I've been completely rearranging my sewing studio since yesterday morning so I didn't see you post until just now. I've got two new finishes that I'll be posting sometime tomorrow afternoon when I get home from the barn. I'll post pics of the backs then. Basically the way to make them look like they are floating off the wall is to glue them to a panel --either wood or foam core-- that is a little smaller than the quilt so the edges of the quilt extend beyond it in all directions, then make a stretcher that is smaller than the panel by a few inches. Glue panels to stretcher and paint panel edges and stretcher black. Wire it to hang like you would a picture, make sure it hangs so that the stretcher is flat against the wall. This gives the illusion that the quilt is floating since neither the panel nor the stretchers are visible.

Rob
Old 02-24-2016, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Very nice travelinggrammn. I love the puppy dog peaking out from #2. Did you use all your candy squares in #3?
I have one more quilt that I am finishing up with the Birthday Candy swap.
And that cutie doodle didn't want to move for me to take pictures!
Old 02-24-2016, 04:29 PM

whoo hoop three finishes! Way to go TG! I love the scrappy back.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
#2 - got my Boomerang 15 finally quilted and bound. Hard to take a good picture of stripes - but just love what everyone had done with the fabric and how fun it turned out.
#3 - got this one quilted and bound and done! very scrappy and fun.
3 great finishes TG but I just love the way your boom quilt came out it's such a bright fun quilt who knew that a bright stripe could bring out so much creativity in everybody and your sashing sets it off perfectly.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 AM

Birthday Treat Swappers.....another way to use all of those 2.5 cuts! Like the friendship star feature! Bookmarked for future use. Searched for some of my treats but.... who cares you are making progress on using up your stash of treats. Thanks for the share travelinggramma!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:37 AM

You finishers have all done a great job on your beautiful quilts! I'm so impressed with each finish. And that they are done before the 29th! Haha. Can't stop looking at the Scrappy 2.5 from Travelinggramma--what a beauty and such a good scrap buster (I'm looking for those lately...guess why!).

I'm slogging away machine quilting on my next UFO, which I had hoped to have finished for Feb. But I'm not sure it will be completely done by then. My wrist is acting up. But today is my day off and I am determined to at least ready the binding and do what I can to get this further along. It is one of many T/berries in my pile that need to be quilted, but I thought to myself yesterday as I was cranky that I really love Piecing!!! Well, thanks for letting me vent...Deep breath...Off to the sewing room with determination !
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 AM

Terriamn, I love the rich colors in your quilt!

travelinggramma, I have not heard of a Boomerang quilt before, but wow! That is really bold and beautiful. Congrats on 3 finishes!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Joe'smom, Booms (Boomerang Friendship Swaps) are those where pieces of fabric are sent out to group members and they come back to you as completed blocks. Think of a Boomerang. Properly thrown, it comes back to you! TG supplied the striped fabic and the other members used their fabrics to complete a block. TG is a repeat Boomer and she made that quilt from blocks her fellow Boom 15 members made for her. Together with her finishing including sashing, borders, quilting and binding, it turned out particularly well.
Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Terriamn, I love the rich colors in your quilt!

travelinggramma, I have not heard of a Boomerang quilt before, but wow! That is really bold and beautiful. Congrats on 3 finishes!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM

For those interested - Boomerang 16 - sign up ends in four days - check it out
http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...ml#post7458648