Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014 >
  • Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

• Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mdall
    Patches, love those reindeer mats. Got all but two of the SS items done. The others are at least half done and finishing those tomorrow. Really enjoying making these when I get the chance. Started up today and shorting after all the kids returned home so stopped since I get all nerve racked when I try to sew a gift with everyone running around. Weather here is starting to warm up. Supposed to be in 60's tomorrow so kids will be out running around and can finish up the other two then. Working on some hand sewing this evening.
    Wish I could take credit, but these are Pennif's and she made the patterns up herself! Awesome! I'm going to PM her my email addy so she can send me the patterns.
    Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bullock2us
    All of the ornament ideas sound like fun especially the one involving kids. My son loves to open my swap packages and loves to craftb-day ideas everyone!
    I will pop the green pompoms into the mail asap for the little guys ninja ornaments. I got the address in the pm... :~)
    Old 11-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Those placemats are beautiful, PenniF! I have a weakness for cardinals -- but that moose peeking through the window is adorable! Great job!
    Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

JuneBillie, asked my carpenter husband about that mobile today. He's a custom cabinet builder so I knew he could come up with something. He said "No problem" so soon I should have one. He's busy building cabinets and vanities now for a brand new house but soon I'm sure. Will post a pic when he gets it done.
    Old 11-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    Finally finished my "Place mat of the month club" gifts for my folks and aunts for month of December....so can get them in the mail Monday!!!! {{whew!!}} It turned our to be a good idea - as they have all mentioned looking forward to getting the next month. Can now get back to sewing on the infinity scarves - or maybe i should sandwich the quilt for my niece - or work on the Kleenex box covers .....anyway....getting back to it. Here's a photo...hope they make you smile.[ATTACH=CONFIG]500011[/ATTACH]
    Those are all great, but that moose with the ornys on his antlers is adorable! I showed my hubby, and he agreed..
    I could see a way to draft one, but is there a pattern for it?
    Everyone pretty much knows I love applique..

Kif
    Old 11-23-2014, 08:45 PM

So PenniF for the flub, nice mats. I am on overdrive and brain saw a P and went with the first name that popped I guess. LOL Really need to be more careful.

Well today went well for the most part. Got a bit of sewing done. Managed to keep the house from looking like those little tornadoes called kids tore threw it. LOL Now onto the season starting tomorrow. Need to finish up all required sewing items since processing meat may take up most of my time from then on if DH and kids get any. Wish them luck. Planning on making burger with most it since the price of reg burger in the stores here is almost $4.00/lb now. Have a bunch of beef fat in the freezer waiting to mixed with it to add some flavor. So, need them to have a good hunting week to help cut down on the cost meat in the house.
    Old 11-23-2014, 09:06 PM

Good luck to your DH and boys on their hunt !!
    I seriously admire your processing skills....i am not that talented so we take ours to the local guys to do it for us....Love the ground meat ... (today ground chuck was $5.48/lb) but i have to confess my favorite is the jalapeno cheese smoked sausage - YUMMY !!!!
    Our season for junior hunters only was a few weeks ago....I have our DGDs buck's heart in my freezer. (she's 11 now - got her first buck when she was 7) She wants it cooked for Christmas. She's our cheer-leading, ballet dancing, camo wearing, deer blind sitting little sweetie !!!
    Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 PM

I would be thrilled to pay $4.00 a pound for hamburger!
    I bought some last week, since I asked the butcher for a large pkg, I got 30¢ a pound off the price, still paid $5.69 a pound. There is cheaper hamburger, but I buy 93/7. Then I use our seal-a-meal, divide into smaller pkgs, and freeze them.

Mdall,
    Good luck to your hubby and sons on their hunting trip!

My hubby is a longtime hunter, our son goes with him sometimes. They've only shot dove, quail, pheasant, geese, and my hubby eats crane. Yes, crane... for me, that's a "No Thanks.". When hubby was eating it (he cooked it, I wouldn't have a clue how) I thought it looked like a steak cooked medium well..weird to see bird meat that looked like beef...
    They also got a feral hog a couple of yrs ago, I did eat some "pork chop" (think hubby said it was the back strap, you can tell I'm not a hunter...lol) I did the ole shake and bake, and I thought it was pretty tasty. I'm not much on pork, except for bacon, but the hog was very lean and tender. Now as far as the sausage from the hog, that was another "No thanks" from me. Lol

PenniF,
    I think it's terrific that your dgd loves to hunt as well as do her "girly stuff". But I have to give another "No thanks" on the deer heart...or any heart for that matter.. That's right up there with the calf fries my hubby loves. He just says the more "No thanks" I have, that's more for him to enjoy. I say, Enjoy away!!
    K

Last edited by kiffie2413; 11-23-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes. So far DH and kids have come with nothing. Only the first few hours though. Have all week and I will be out next week hunting once school is back in. Sons girlfriend and cousin got one. As far as the processing, I am still learning. I can do the basics but still rely on the old timers around here to teach the rest. This will be the first year I have done the burger myself though. I have to say that I am now greatful for the only$4.00 a lb price. Wow, at the prices you all are paying we would never have burger. LOL

Everyone is having a blast so far. The kids have been outside running around and they tagged along as I helped the oldest son get his girlfriend kill skinned out. Had a short visit with some of the family that had come in from the woods for a break. The weather outside today is amazing. Kids are loving it. Its almost to hot to hunt this afternoon so everyone is gathering and telling tales and having fun. I am spending the afternoon sewing up the last items for SS package and then I will join in this evening. We have so many laughs when together. Talk later everyone and anyone else out trying to fill the freezer Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
    Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 AM

I just posted sign-ups for the December Pincushion & Needlecase swap. This should be a really great swap. Everyone please join in!!!

DECEMBER Pincushion & Needlecase Swap - Sign-ups close on December 1st.