Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Getting less than you paid for... >

Getting less than you paid for...

Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I have to tell you about my Hancocks. My son found some fabric for a quilt I was going to make him. It was going to be accent fabric for the squares. I was going to buy a little extra because DS loved it. When they started to unroll it there was a flawed section (less than a quarter yard. ) She asked if I still wanted it and I said OK. I can cut around the flaws. She hadn't cut my two yards off yet. She then unrolled the rest of the bolt ( about 3/4 of a yard more than she was going to cut for me ) and gave me the extra with no charge. What a nice thing to do. I usually get a couple of inches over a yard every time I go there. I love that store.
We dont have a Hancocks - sure wish we did!! You are very lucky to have found such great people!!!

I have been told by the clerks in various stores that they have to cut close because of inventory!!! If their number cut dont match sold vs what they received They will get in trouble and lose their jobs!!! Sad really.

I have asked that any fabrics that have a line to be straightened by cutting with scissors not by the cutting edge thats already there and then for the other end to be done the same way!! Alost of times I dont really catch the mismeasurement until I get home ( I do buy alot when I go) I then have to go have fabric remeasured and then get a refund and rebuy it!!! Only a few times I have been accused of taking 2 - 3 inches of a fabric and then bring it back because I found it to be mismeasured!! Needless to say IF I go back there I always make sure fabrics are remeasured!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Lystra
I need to jump in on this simply to say that I buy much of my fabric from Hobby Lobby and they always (no matter who is on duty) pull at least 3 inches over before cutting my yard! I love them and appreciate that they do it ...unlike my LSQ and Hancock's where I'm not always sure.
You are very fortunate!! I do know that one clerk will pull at least an inch but the other one is a real stickler lol wish I could remember their schedules lol

I dont have a fabric dept in any of our walmarts I have to go about 70 miles or more round trip...I have found that in
those stores if you go after 5 someone from a different dept is usually one that does the cutting so you can ask for the "extra" Alot of time the full time fabric emplyee is responsible to company policy in order to keep their job status. I guess it shows you just need when and whre to go lol
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by TacoMama
...You guys as well as I know if we prewash a lot of times it makes you run short if you buy just the amount that is called for, so I usually have them cut just a small amount more.
Yes, we all do KNOW that fabric will shrink when we pre-wash it. But that is not the fault of the store, or the manufacturer... it is just the nature of the product. Whether we pre-wash or not, that is our choice, after we have made the purchase.

If I buy a pound of ground beef and cook it, there will not be a full 16 ounces left. So should I expect the butcher to give me extra to account for the shrinkage? I think not.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh yes. When I took my first lessons in 1988, the woman working at the shop (not the owner) was to cut me some 4 in strips.. Well, they were 4 in at the botton, but not on top, and as a result, when I tried to finish the quilt top, it didn't match.. I still have it in the plastic box, and it's not yet done... However, I did find some material that seemed to match, (at another store, just last year,) and put it on top of the pile... I have still to finish it...
At that time, I thought all quilt shops were out for the money, and not give all the material... Since then, they have come out with a better way of cutting, and not leaving it up to someone who doesn't know their...... from a hole in the ground... In Wappingers Falls, I now go to a nice quilt shop, who not only give lessons, (at a good price) but also cuts material, with an extra 'thumb' width.. I go there for most of my needs... The owner does most of the cutting, and is a nice person besides, and very helpful with my questions... I now belong to a guild, and anothe group of 7...
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
I recently placed my first order with fabric.com. They advertise a 37" yard. I ordered a single cut of fabric 9 yards long. I received 9 yards + 12 inches. You better believe that I'll order from them again!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM

[A lady purchasing before me wanted 10 yards of a muslin fabric and when it was cut she found well over a yard of it was flawed and stained. The cutter apologized and did not offer to recut the fabric for her but said she'd give her another cut for the amount she wasn't able to use. This was for a wholecloth quilt. The poor customer accepted it but was so unhappy and really so flabergasted she just left with the purchase trying to hide her tears. There was no way she could cut the flaws and stains out and sew on the other fabric to make the wholecloth quilt look acceptable. I felt awful for her.

I really wish you would have given the customer a little nudge and told her not to accept it. Some people just become over-whelmed and don't know what to do. I could just see my Mom in a situation like that, she would never have "dared" to say anything.... oh she would have cried, but she would never have said anything!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by TacoMama
...You guys as well as I know if we prewash a lot of times it makes you run short if you buy just the amount that is called for, so I usually have them cut just a small amount more.
Yes, we all do KNOW that fabric will shrink when we pre-wash it. But that is not the fault of the store, or the manufacturer... it is just the nature of the product. Whether we pre-wash or not, that is our choice, after we have made the purchase.

If I buy a pound of ground beef and cook it, there will not be a full 16 ounces left. So should I expect the butcher to give me extra to account for the shrinkage? I think not.
Exactly. If you know you need 7/8 of a yard for your quilt, don't buy 7/8. Buy 1 yard, or even 1 & 1/4 yard. You know it will shrink, it is the nature of the beast.

But if I order 1 yard, I expect one yard. This is why I rarely buy from JoAnns. I too have experienced the staff member who measures from the long side of the crooked cut, leaving me short 1/8 yard or more.

Then again, this is *also* why I add at least 1/4 - 1/2 yard to the amount I need to purchase. a) it accounts for crooked cuts, b) it accounts for flaws (hoping there aren't any), c) it gives me extra for the inevitable mis-cut that *I* will make while cutting my pieces. And, of course, d) it gives me a little extra for my stash. :-)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM

I have noticed that some cutters who are not familar with the ways of handling fabric will pull the edge tight to stretch the fabric between the markings. I have on occasion ask them to remeasure before they cut and not to stretch the edge. Sometimes it is less than an inch, sometimes more. It seems the young cutters at the big stores are the worst about doing this. Maybe no one ever bothered to explain the correct way to measure fabric.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM

That is just not right. You should get what you pay for in my world.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Oh I forgot has anyone heard of a "bakers dozen". That is where you get 13 instead of 12 because back in the dark ages someone would cut your arm off if you did not get a dozen of whatever you paid for. That is extreme I know but it is the truth...