Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I put my patterns in those clear notebook slip covers and then put them into a 3 ring binder for easy to find patterns and they aren't scattered everywhere.
I do that also! :thumbup:
Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM

Coffee filters for stabilizers
Chopsticks for turning and poking out corners
Minature pliers for pulling needle out when handquilting
3 ring binders and page protectors for patterns
Mousepad for my machine foot pedal
Empty Eclipse gum containers for used needles & rotary blades
Large plastic folder from $ store for projects
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I save the large an small pill bottles with the easy open lids for seniors and punch a hole in center then put my thread for carry project in with thread threaded through hole. The large pill bottle holds one large spool thread or 3 of the small ones. I also have a caddy from pampered chef that I use for pencils, rotary cutter, rulers and scissors and most etc,
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM

I use anything that is not nailed down
if it serves the purpose, but cannot
think of anything not mentioned already.
J J
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Sizzix dies to cut multiple shapes, letters, numbers out of fabric, stabilizer or sticky sheets. Also, I confiscated the battery operated metal tape measure from my garage. Its the handiest thing when trying to measure a quilt, I can stand at one edge and turn on the tape measure and the tape just shoots across the quilt until I take my finger off the button. When I'm finished measuring I just press the button to reel it back in. Love it!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM

I use a napkin & utensil holder meant for picnic use. It has a handle with the large (napkin) side I use for my sewing machine book and a few small rulers on one side and three smaller sections on the other side that I use for my seam ripper, snips, rotary cutter, six inch ruler, as well as a few pens, pencils, etc. It is small enough that it fits nicely on my sewing table behind my machine and is easy to pick up if I need the tools elsewhere. It helps my sewing table stay organized!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM

paint brush-
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Silverware tray for holding strips of fabric

Mesh shower organizer hung on wall for gadgets. Everything from scissors to ruler to tapemeasure to cutter. Very handy.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Shoe boxes to store my fat quarters and patterns.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

oh forgot one. old fashion bristle hair brush for thread clippings. i keep it beside the machine and add as i clip then before i leave i swipe to pick up what i missed. put clippings in a bush for the birds.

FREE Quilting Newsletter