for my southern friends

Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM

FUNNY FOR EVERYONE TO ENJOY

A MAN and his wife, moved back home to West Virginia,
from Ohio.

The husband had a wooden leg, and to insure it back in Ohio cost them $2000 per year!

When they arrived in West Virginia, they went to an insurance agency to see how much it would cost to insure his wooden leg.

The agent looked it up on the computer and said: '$39.'

The husband was shocked and asked why it was so cheap here in West Virginia to insure it because it cost him $2000 in Ohio!

The insurance agent turned his computer screen to the couple and said, 'Well, here it is on the screen, it says: Any wooden structure, with a sprinkler system above it, is $39... You just have to know how to describe it!

( HILLBILLIES know how "to git'er done")
& SOUTHERNERS TOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by trupeach1
My DD ex BF was from GA, the first time they went to the grocery store he asked DD to get him a buggy. She said have the Amish arrived. LOL she didn't know what he wanted and neither did I. Who would have thought a shopping cart was called a buggy??????
Anyone who speaks English.
froggyintexas
In south FL. Around Lake Okeechobee at Walmart the guys that go after the Buggies, :shock: :lol: are called buggie busters..never called it a cart..I go to Valdosta with DH we always go the garden enterence,I always tell him,I am going after a buggy since there aren't any out here. :D :D Southern talking Grt. Grndmother... BillsBonBon
Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM

I call it soda sometimes but usually call it by its name....and for the record---I'm a native Atlantan, one of about FIVE of us left in the whole city!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 PM

That's a West Virginian for you - gotta know how to describe it!
Another phrase that needs to be addressed is that instead of saying week after next we say "Friday week" which means the same thing. have to explain it to many of the younger people, though - or "I wouldn't keer to" which means "don't mind doing that" - yes, it confusing, but easily understood by mountain southerners.

for those interested Bill Bryson has a great book "Made in America : an informal history of the English language in the United States" which is a fantastic history of American English. hard to find but worth the search.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM

I'm a born and bred Georgian! Born in Savannah and have lived in the Atlanta area since I was 6 months old. Guess I'm one of the FIVE!

We say yes/no ma'am and yes/no sir. Not to be sarcastic...just doing what our mama's taught us. Doesn't matter the age either. I find myself ma'am-ing and sir-ing the old and the young. Just what we do.

It's COKE or SWEET tea...the kind made with sugar while still hot and brewing.

AND we have DAWGS...not dogs!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM

All are true comments - when I first moved from Canada to OK it took about a month before the boys caught me saying "fixin to" and even though I moved home I still talk like I did after being in the South for 12 yrs
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM

I love it. Born in FL and raised in NC, I'm a southern girl through and through. Thanks for the laughs. I'll have to show this to my "foreigner" husband. He's from WA state, but I converted him. LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM

AMEN! ya'll.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:06 PM

I love this. it is good y'all.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM

When my daughter went to TN to school and then married and stayed there, I thought the funniest word they said was "you'uns". When they come up here, I torment my SIL unmercifully about the pronunciation of words. He will even go get the dictionary to look them up.