Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing advice from an old Singer Manual >

Sewing advice from an old Singer Manual

Sewing advice from an old Singer Manual

Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Hee, hee, hee, that is too funny!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM

I read this to my husband and he just laughed.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dglvr
Thought this was cute. I hope it posted.
I can't write a reply, my hair is a mess, and I don't have any powder on!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
LOL, This was written by June Cleaver, or the president of her fan club. Excuse me, I have to go get my pearls and patten leather pumps on, Hubby Ward and the Beaver will be home shortly from their fishing trip and I have to sharpen the knives before I start scaling the fish. A nice Waldorf salad and brownies for dessert should do nicely for our fish dinner tonight.
I think a cherry Jello dessert with marshmallows would be lovely.
Sincerely,
Donna Reed
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Oh brother!!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM

My Mom followed this advice. The house was always perfectly clean and tidy. My father's dinner was always on the table as soon as he came home from work. Mom usually stayed up watching the Late, Late Show while ironing my Dad's underwear, socks and shirts as well as school uniforms for us three kids. She would never go out of the house without makeup on and her hair perfectly coifed. One day I came home from school to find that the beds were not made and that Mom was nowhere to be found. I started crying because I thought for sure something terrible had happened to her. She would never go anywhere without the beds being made first. As it turned out, of course, there was nothing seriously wrong. My aunt decided at the last minute to go clothes shopping and that if Mom wanted to go with her she had to be ready in five minutes. I'm sure they thought they'd be back before us kids got home from school and Mom didn't realize that making the decision to put on her makeup instead of making the beds was going to traumatize me. She's 93 years old now and still apologizes to me every so often. Needless to say, my life is very much less structured than hers was. I like to have a clean house and I like to look nice. I love my husband too. But...the dishes go into the dishwasher, everyone in this house makes their own beds (or not), Hubby's shirts go to the laundry and his undies and socks don't get ironed. His dinner is on the table when I am finished cooking it and if he wants it sooner than that he helps cook it. I sew when I want in whatever state of dress or undress I choose, with or without makeup, before or after my shower. It works for us and so far I haven't traumatized anyone :)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM

That's so cool! My mom combed her hair and put on lipstick once ot twice a month before my dad would come home to dinner after work. Eight kids would drive her nuts asking where she was going, when would she be back, did daddy know, could we come too, how come we can't go, how come you won't tell us, etc.etc.etc. When daddy came home we'd all run to the door to tell him that mom was going out and wouldn't tell us where. Thanx for the fond memories. LOL
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM

I have 2 dresses - both need dry cleaning. One is my funeral dress and the other is for church when I wear one occasionally. I usually wear dress pants to church. I fail at every one of these rules unles you can count cat hair as face powder!! :D
Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 PM

God forbid your husband should come home and find you without your hair done and lipstick! How times have changed (thank goodness)!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marion T
I loved this one!! I've also loved all the replies. Up to now, I thought I was the only person in the world who sewed whilst still in her jammies!! I'd love to have a copy of ths, but don't know how to copy and print it. Does anyone know?
Go too this site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w.../snipping-tool
Download and have fun!