Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me >

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM

I'd not buy the kit if the pattern was not included. Would also inform the shop that was why I was not buying it.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM

If the pattern is copyrighted that they are using, they need the owners permission to put it in their kits. Maybe they couldn't get it, maybe they didn't try, or maybe they didn't want to pay a percentage to the owner of the pattern.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by denilynne
I found a quilt kit i want to buy it's $75.00 but it does not include the pattern, i have to spend another $25.00 to buy a book that has the pattern. Why don't they include the pattern with the kit, i don't understand.
Just curious, if the pattern had been in the kit and the price for the kit was $100.00, would you have bought it? Some kits, including patterns do cost that much.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Denilynne: I think you can easily make you're own pattern for this block. I'm thinking it's just starts with a small log cabin-type block. Start with a small white block. Add another in the same size in a color. Then add a strip in the same color as the second piece.....along the side which is the same width of the other two pieces. Make two of these blocks, add a couple of solid blocks (say white) the same size as the first pieced block. Put the four of these blocks together - one pieced and one just a solid piece of fabric and voilla you should have the basic block. Get out your graph paper, your crayons or chalk, start putting in the colors you wish to use. Remember to leave the large blocks as well as your starter pieces in the 'cabin-like block in same solid color. Set this all 'on point' and you should have the block you're looking for. Very simple to make but I would think you have to have a color plan for making all the blocks. Once you have a block of blocks filledin with colors you'll have something you can follow when piecing. I'm better in talking this out so may have left a step or two out but hopefully you can get the drift. I'd probably buy a 1/2 or 1 yard of each of the colors I would like to use, make a sample piece then you will be able to come pretty close to the amount you'll need for whatever size you want to end up with. Happy Easter and Happy Stitching, Dottientx
Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 AM

YOu might also try half.com which is a part of ebay but the prices are set. I have bought a lot of books from them and I have always been happy with the book and the price is usually very nice.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:29 AM

The fabric costs what the fabric costs. The book costs what the book costs. They have just done the extra work and have already picked out the fabrics and have them cut for you saving you lots of time and frustration if choosing fabric might not be one of your strong suits. If the book was included in the kit the price is still going to be the same as having to buy book and fabric seperately. I love kits. Some I have had to pass because they just cost too much. That's the same with fabric, books, patterns, notions. Sometimes our wants are just too costly and we have to pass and have to find another way to approach it like used books and finding different fabrics.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM

Maybe it was a copyright with the whole book...It's not a kit without the pattern! Just fabric! I know the pattern you are talking about! I like it too!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 AM

I think it depends upon the size and number of pieces of fabric to be prepared for the kit.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
I think it would be more beneficial to list the price of a kit INCLUDING a pattern... and then provide a 'discounted' price for a no-pattern kit for those who may already own one. The other way just seems kind of sneaky to me, even it it's not meant to be that way.
Good point! If the fabric was bundled and identified as "fabric to make xyz quilt pattern" it would be helpful to those that already had the book/pattern. i can certainly understand someone not wanting to buy an expensive book again just to get the kit. I would just like things to be clearly marked.
I KNOW several shop owners and am not trying to bash anyone. Many times they are between a rock and a hard place. I just feel some are doing their customers a disservice by not being clear. I would say the same of other businesses that have what are percieved as "hidden" charges for their goods.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Good grief. Kit should mean pattern too. I would let them know you are interested in it but since it does not come with the pattern I will not be buying it.