soap for leg cramps

Old 06-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
What kind of soap?

Just a bar of bath soap. I heard this and my sister tried and swears by it.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
DH takes a lot of meds and mentioned to his doc that he sometimes gets leg cramps at night. The physician's assistant said, Put a bar of soap under the sheet down by your legs.

I was flabbergasted to hear this from a medical person at a university teaching hospital/ medical center. But I looked it up online and a lot of people swear by it.

I put it in the bed last night, so we will see if it works. I should put it between the 2 of us as I get them sometimes too.
My doctor told me to drink a glass of tonic water every night before bed. I mix it with diet Splash to take away the bitter taste of the diet tonic water. No more leg cramps!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Well, here we are at page 6 of this discussion and many testimonials for soap have still not given us a explanation of why it works, alas. :(

But, what have we got to lose by trying it! I know I'm the most suggestible soul in the world, so it may help fibro pain, along with my newly started Cymbalta. :-) (Hmm, wonder if my favored Yardley Lavendar soap will work?)

I have cramps only in the right leg/foot occasionally. I also take Lisinopril with hctz (light BP lowering meds with diuretic) and believe this causes some of them. When it happens, I take a potassium chelate pill and a calcium/magnesium pill for a couple of nights and they disappear for several weeks again.

Jan in VA
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Well, here we are at page 6 of this discussion and many testimonials for soap have still not given us a explanation of why it works, alas. :(
But, what have we got to lose by trying it! I know I'm the most suggestible soul in the world, so it may help fibro pain, along with my newly started Cymbalta. :-) (Hmm, wonder if my favored Yardley Lavendar soap will work?)
I have cramps only in the right leg/foot occasionally. I also take Lisinopril with hctz (light BP lowering meds with diuretic) and believe this causes some of them. When it happens, I take a potassium chelate pill and a calcium/magnesium pill for a couple of nights and they disappear for several weeks again.
Jan in VA
Hi Jan. Haven't visited a lot lately, I have been lost in KayKay's pda. :)
This soap thing is something you will have to write down to remember you did it. The pain will disappear and you won't think about it being gone because it is not there. You will wake up in the night with your legs looking for the soaps. For us, it seemed like white soaps worked better than other color soaps but I have used many brands and colors and I promise you they do work. The little bits you throw away from the shower are just fine. You can also chunk one bar into multiple bits. I put them in the recesses of the pillow top on our mattresses.

Bless my Momma's heart. She was skeptic and wanted (more or less) to prove it would not work. She put soaps under her sheets, said it worked and moved on with life. There were 7 children, lots of grands. Everyone came to Mother's for vacations. This particular time there was a herd of us there at the same time. Morning, breakfast coffee is ready, Mother came hobbling out of her bedroom, across the floor. "My legs cramped all night. Don't know why that soap isn't working". Very Cranky.
OOOOppps,, the one of us who changed her sheets the day before forgot to put it back when we remade the bed. Our bad and Mother paid for it. It may not work for 100% of the population but for the 99.999% it works for it is a blessing.
:thumbup:
Try it, let us know if you like it.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Tanya, I get Restless Leg Syndrome too, had it before they had name for it. When I feel it coming on I take a Vitamin E tablet, 1000mg. Works 99% of the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Suzy
Wal-Mart has something with quinine in it by the pharmacy in a little box and it says for leg cramps. I got it for a friend about a month ago . I will have to find out the exact name on the box. Wasn't expensive either. The friend said it is the only thing that helps.

Good Luck
Suzy
Go back a few pages and see that I posted on this product, it is Hylands Leg Cramp capsules. The so contain quinine. They work for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 PM

My brother-in-law did the same thing for restless leg. It does work!!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM

I have resless leg syndrome. I have tried everything. My DD told me about the soap in the bed idea. It works for me. I have been using this for 3+years. One tip, I wouldn't use anything by a white soap. Orange Dial can reek havoc on sheets. I use Dove. Don't forget to take it out before washing your sheets. Been there, done that :)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 PM

I have used a bar of Zest soap in my sheets for years, with great results. If I get a cramp I know the soap has slid down the mattress.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 PM

CVS has the Hyland Leg Cramp meds on sale this week for $2.99...just happened to see that name when I was looking at the sale paper.