Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler? >

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Are you doing paper piecing?? They sell rulers with the 1/4" lip in the 6" & 12" length at quilt shops. It is needed for paper piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Is it for a paper pieceing class? I took a pp class and had to purchase one. It's only 5 inches long, wonderful for adding the quarter inch required in paper pieceing, and I find myself reaching for it anytime I need to trim off just a smidge of a piece in regular piecing. It's inexpenseive and worth the price, IMHO.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.

You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
Ditto! I love mine. I have the add an eighth ruler too for very small pieces. I think it has its place too.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.

You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
This is the one I have. Don't use it much but it is helpful to have it when the one time I tried paper piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 AM

I have one and love it, use it when I'm paper piecing and doinregular piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM

It is a small ruler 1/4" wide by 1/4" high. Like a cube, but long. You use it for marking the 1/4" seam. Just another tool that you don't really need, but it is nice at times. I do have one, but I don't use it. I have in the past, I'm just so experienced at the 1/4" that I don't need to mark things any longer except the 1/2 square triangles. I like to mark the sewing lines and this tool could be used for that.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by judylg
Actually the class I am taking is a court house steps quilt as you go table runner. I have a ruler I can use that is 12 inches and a 6 inch one as well. I have never paper pieced, but can see how it would be useful for that.
Get the ruler. You won't be sorry. I made a California King sized Court House Steps ---Betty Cotton Theory. It was fast, fun and easy with the ruler. I would not do it again without the ruler. I have the 12" and 6" add-a-quarter and the 6" add-an-eighth. Want the 18" add-a-quarter, but haven't gotten it yet. WONDERFUL for paper piecing also. Ellen
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 AM

I love mine. It makes trimming the seam allowance for PP so easy.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM

I love paper piecing and have both rulers the 1/4 1nd 1/8 I use them all the time
Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 AM

Well, I read this tip somewhere and it seems accurate. Take two #2 lead pencils and rubber band them together. They need to have sharp points of course. One outlines by your template, the other marks 1/4" away.
You may want to give it a try.
I do have a blue 1/4" ruler. The 1/4" is inside the blue plastic straight item. Not useful with curves.