Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:02 PM

I prefer to just do my own thing at home. I would only be distracted in a group.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Solitary- our priorities of family and church come first which vary widely in needs of tim once our kids are grown perhaps I'll have that liberty
Old 06-16-2011, 01:24 PM

I enjoy quilting with others, but it seems like a lot of trouble to pack all my stuff up and take it out of my sewing room. And I usually forget something! I do love to "drop in" and see what others are working on.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm not alone. I have all of you!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM

I usually quilt by myself. I've tried going to groups, but there is usually more talking than quilting. Also, I prefer staying at home to quilt because I ALWAYS manage to leave something at home. If it's a tool, I can just borrow one from a buddy, but more times than not, it's a fabric that I forget. LOL
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 PM

I quilt at home alone mostly, I do however take classes at my LQS and do that once a week. It gets me out of the house and I get to spend 3 hours with some incredible women who I now call my friends including our instructors. Our shop owner is amazing too if class isn't in session and you are finishing up a quilt and need a big space to lay everything out you can come in and use the classroom space at no charge. Our store The Running Stitch has actually been selected by Better Homes and Gardens feature for their September issue Quilt Sampler Magazine.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM

I have to admit, I quilt alone. I've tried two of the local quilt guilds and quite frankly I found them unfriendly. They don't seem to realize that not everyone who comes to join has a friend there. I'm new at quilting and shy and would have loved it if someone would have shown me the ropes. I attended more than one meeting at each guild but, regretably, I won't be going back.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrspat
I have to admit, I quilt alone. I've tried two of the local quilt guilds and quite frankly I found them unfriendly. They don't seem to realize that not everyone who comes to join has a friend there. I'm new at quilting and shy and would have loved it if someone would have shown me the ropes. I attended more than one meeting at each guild but, regretably, I won't be going back.
Sorry that you had that experience! Honestly.. women can be nasty. And sometimes appear standoffish, even if they arent. I have been in that same situation many times. However, I also have gone to some quilting classes where some of the ladies have been sweet and wonderful! You just never know. :)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:24 PM

alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wish i could find someone near to quilt with
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 PM

A friend has one of her sewing machines set up in my sewing/living room and comes over about 3 or 4 times a week and we sew together. I get more sewing done this way.