Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 AM

I quilt alone. I get so much done it is unbelievable. When my husband is gone occasionally I can get quilts done along with tons of pillow cases. Sometimes I forget to eat. If I get together with other quilters, I find that we talk and don't get a lot done.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Mostly alone but I have a sister close by and we compare and share ideas and when I tie quilts we do it together in her basement on her quilting frame. She also helps me sandwich the larger quilts on her ping-pong table. She is the BEST sister!!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM

I do both and enjoy each. I love going and looking at what the other ladies are doing and I like the chit chat. I am relatively new in the area and it isn't very easy to make friends here probably because I am a widow and retired. Most of the women still have husbands around. I was very active in NJ and NY and really miss all of my friends but I am close to my family now which makes it worth it. I quilt alone a lot while I listen to music whether I have a few minutes or many hours. This board has been a great place for me and I have learned a lot here.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM

Like so many of you I do much better alone. Apart of me wants to group sew, even joined the local quilt guild but work gets in the way of that. I have another friend who is a professional quilter & has invited me several times to sew with her & her group,and I have gone but mainly just to get to know everyone. I am just one of those people if there is to much going on I don't get anything done.
I converted my front living rm into a very nice sewing area, it has a big huge sunny window, a tv, dvd player-I can spread out and leave whatever I am working on until the next time.
I am a self taught quilter so apart of me doesn't feel my work is up to pare but my friends [who don't sew] & family love my quilts and to me that's all that matters. I don't like putting myself in situations where I might be judged-and no offense to anyone here but sometimes us females can be a bit cabby, if you know what I mean.
I do enjoy coming here to the message board, sharing & learning and I have made some wonderful friends from this board.....I am ok with things just the way they are.
Happy Sewing!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM

I quilt mostly alone. My granddaughter asked me to help her learn to quilt and this has been a joy but we work together on her problems, but then I quilt alone. I am helping a Nigerian lady learn to quilt so she comes over and I work with her and then I do my quilting alone. I really accomplish more when I am by myself with either music or the tv in the background. My puppies (2 English Bull Terriers) are usually at my feet - so I guess I really don't quilt alone.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Usually alone. My sister has recently started dqiolting and a friend down the road quilts. I have been trying to get the three of us together but it seems they only call me when they need me to fix something. lol
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 AM

I usually quilt with a friend on the weekends, but alone during the week. I also belong to a guild that is very active in community support
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

I sew by myself. No one close quilts and the closest quild is 15 mi. away. Would love to join but they meet at nite and I don't drive at night if I can help it. I really don't mind being alone. As someone said, I get more accomplished. I enjoy my own company and the nice thing is, we get along just fine. lol
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 AM

I always quilt by myself and prefer it. I went to one quilt club meeting and was not impressed.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM

I like to talk quilting with friends and see "show and tell", but I'm MUCH more productive sewing alone. I can concentrate on what I'm doing and make fewer mistakes.