Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:09 PM

I used to belong to a guild, but they spent too much time rehashing last months meeting minutes. So now I quilt with my daughter. She comes over about once a month and we have the dueling sewing machines. At least that's what my DH says. But we get more done in one day than we do seperately.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 PM

Solitary for me, because I don't know anyone else locally who quilts. When there was a group I was much more productive, if only because I wanted to have things to show when we met!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Had to laugh when I saw the hours you keep. I too, stay up til 3 am most nights, of course I sleep later in the morn. But, I do most of my quilting alone. I do meet up with a bunch of ladies every other sunday. And sometimes other quilting get togethers. Giving my daughter a sewing machine and all the quilting supplies for her Birthday, so maybe I'll have a partner in crime. LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 PM

I quilt alone. It's never been a social activity for me.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM

I only quilt at home, either by myself or with DH in the background. I prefer it that way as I achieve so much more. I visit my LQS to talk to other quilters when I want to and have visits to and from other quilters for a cuppa but not to sit and sew.

I used to belong to a group (way too clicky and bitchy and would never share) and a guild (paid big membership fee, got nothing back in return and was never made to feel welcome at meetings).

I have learned more from this quilting board since I joined that I ever learned from going to a group or guild.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

well lets see. i live outside the city limits, have no car, and my best friend lives 15 miles away. id say i quilt alone. how ever i have 9 cats and a big dog to keep me company. and after i take my pain pills i get happy and do alot of hand quilting so i can give all the fur babies their loves for the day (again) :lol: :lol: i find i have finally begun to sort of enjoy it. do miss having company some times. oh well. some have it a lot worse then i do.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
Solitary for me, because I don't know anyone else locally who quilts. When there was a group I was much more productive, if only because I wanted to have things to show when we met!
I would like to THINK that the motivation to show things off to those who understand would be reason enough to get things made between meetings, but alas, I have a sad tendancy to get NOTHING of a project done between times that I do make it to the group I belong too....

I think I have too many competing interests, I can go days without turning on the sewing machine!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM

I belong to a quilt guild but find myself sewing alone. I've wanted a quilting buddy but can't seem to find one. Would love to meet once a week and get something done.

Lynn :roll:
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM

I do all of mine alone. I don't really have anyone around that quilts, so I enjoy the solitude!!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:15 AM

I have done my share of both and it is indeed much 'happier' when working with a group of friendly, encouraging ladies but not so good when there is a lot of nasty competitiveness that results in schoolyard behaviour.I travel 100 kilometres once a month to be with the "friendlies".