Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I do both but get much more done by myself at home. I can get in my "zone" and nothing interupts me. With the group, talking is a priority but I do get alot of handwork done there.
See, here at home EVERYTHING else distracts me...and I don't have kids at home, just DH and the cats...but I flit from thing to thing, most having nothing to do with quilting...

Remembering to bring all the parts of a project with me is the biggest issue, but going and having 5 hours of QUILTING time (and or chatting about quilting/while quilting)... I really like it...and wish there were more opportunities to do so....

On the other hand I am NOT a class person....I like taking MY projects with me!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I quilt alone except for when little man decides he wants to help or get in the way. My sewing area is behind the livingroom couch so I am never really alone. I don't belong to any groups or guilds. I figure they wouldn't like it if I brought a wanna be quilter who is 4. :-)
He will remember your quilting with him by his side. It's called makin' memories!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
Both. I try to sew every evening after I put the children to bed. That's alone, me, my machine and Leroy Jethro Gibbs (I'm watching NCIS seasons in order on DVD!).

I recently joined a Guild but we don't sew at once a month meetings.

One highlight is my "Sew Scrappy Sisters" group - there are 7 of us - some scrapbook and some sew. We rent a church hall one Saturday a month from 8:30am until 11:00pm and we do WHATEVER we feel like doing. I work in a VERY male dominated environment and the time with other women is highly valued. We eat dinner together (typically takeout) and have show and tell time at some point during the day / night. We've also gone on 3 / 4 day retreats for intese productivity; serious cocktails and laughter as well!
Now THIS sounds fabulous@!!
I really need to get some of my scrapbooking done too!!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:07 PM

By myself.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM

I go to monthly guild meetings and some group activities, but usually prefer to work on my own because I'm too distractible in a group. I have considered joining a bee, but I don't know if I want another regular occasion to get properly dressed and out of the house. At home I can wear flip-flops, messy hair and loose-fitting clothes and thumb my nose at Fly-lady.

Hubby is often in the next room at his computer. I keep telling him we should cut a hole in the wall to make conversation easier, but technically this is supposed to be a bedroom, so it might hurt the resale value to have a conversation window. I guess we could plaster it back up or hang a quilt over it when time to sell. :D

I have one local friend who quilts, and we get together some and e-mail a lot. Anyway, with this group, there's companionship at our fingertips 24/7. Could we have imagined having over 25,000 quilting buddies 10 years ago?!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:25 PM

The wonderful people on this board are all I have to share my love of quilting.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 PM

My preference is to be a "lone wolf", which allows me to sew/quilt any time
of day most convenient, and for how many hours I can spare.
Too many distractions when working with others.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 PM

I quilt alone. I take a class occasionally, tried the local guild, but because of time, I would rather spend it quilting.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Alone!!!!!!!!!! If my sister and I get together and quilt then it becomes like a gab fest or a pajama party, and we get nothing done. We both quilt alone but sometimes talk on our cell phones hands free.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 PM

I quilt with my BFGSD, he sleeps next to me or by the door watching down the hall to be sure he doesn't miss anything. I enjoy this time to myself completely. I don't have to worry about anything or anyone for a bit and can just let the creativity flow or I can do some serious thinking if needed or planning. If I am with others I talk and talk and talk way toooooo much! LOL