Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is quilting a solitary activity for you? >

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Is quilting a solitary activity for you?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:27 AM

I quilt alone. I have a lovely sewing room with a wonderful sound system and would rather spend time in there than move everything to another location. I do enjoy taking classes from time to time to chat with other quilters. I have started getting together with a group of sisters, but find I get more done on my own. Only get together with them when I have some hand stitching I can take along.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 AM

Do both.

Belong to a guild in Florida and meet at the LQS other times.

Belong to two groups in Jersey .......

and am at it all the time at home with me, myself and I !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 AM

I generally quilt alone, but once or twice a month my quilting friends get together to quilt, either a project or one's own stuff-- I also have a quilting buddy I met here on QB -- we communicate more by email almost every day although we do get together and do handwork
Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I usually have a group of ladies over once a week and we quilt prayer blankets for our soldiers and then we also do our own think. Someone will bring dessert and I offer drinks. We have a good time together.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by coloradosky
I, like you, quilt alone. My sister, however, is just the opposite. She needs and enjoys the closeness of the other quilters. I don't quilt to see how many things I can get done in six months to a year. I only pick the things I have in mind for one of my grandchildren and if I don't feel like quilting for a day or two I don't. If you get into a quilting group you have to gather everything up and transport it to class and back again. Maybe, could it be, that I'm lazy???
I quilt alone also. I just like the quiet, peaceful atmosphere or maybe if I am in the mood a little music and an ocasional TV show. But mostly I quilt alone because I can quilt a little, then put a few pieces in a puzzle (we have a puzzle going at all times) bake something, read on my kindle, or just in general do whatever I want. I am too lazy I guess, because I would hate to pack up all of my quilting things and go somewhere.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 AM

I quilt alone but occassionally 1 or 2 of my girlfriends come over. I can't seem to get much done when I am with others. i just talk! I am more productive when I am alone.

I don't want to belong to a quild! I understand that when in a quild, you can learn a lot more about quilting. I do take quilting classes that will teach me new techniques.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:09 AM

I quilt with my 80y.o. mom :thumbup:
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 AM

I think it would be fun to have a quilting buddy or group of some type, but I don't. I quilt at home of an evening, mostly after the kids go to bed and my homework is done. I don't mind it, really, though. I'm pretty good company :) and, as we discussed in another thread, it gives me time to think things through that I otherwise might just stress over.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 AM

A few years ago I was able to teach my sister how to quilt and she has turned out a lot of beautiful quilts. We quilt with each other a little almost every day. It's not like we sit and chitchat the whole time. We are really pretty quiet and do accomplish a lot. Just nice to have someone to enjoy the hobby with. We have always lived within 15 minutes of each other and we do everything together. Our hubby's think they have two wives!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM

I too quilt alone since I moved to Texas. Before I had a small group of quilting friends who got together every other week to do lunch and spend the afternoon quilting. We never seemed to get much quilting done though. I also belonged to a guild there but it was very tight knit groups and was never made to feel very welcome. Shortly after moving to Texas I joined a "club" at my LQS. We met once a month but had to make the "item of the month" and I didn't enjoy haaving to make things I didn't like. Prefer now to just do my own thing.