Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Art Quilters? >

Art Quilters?

Art Quilters?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Drue View Post
OK! so how do you define an "ART QUILT" or an "ART QUILTER"?

Is it applique", is it the "thread art" on the quilt top? Is it because it looks like "modern art"? I've seen too many variations of what folks call an "Art QUilt".... would really like to know. I may even , but probably not, fall into that category.
I think that an Art Quilt is rather like modern art, but the quilter is using fabric, batting and stitches to create the fabric art quilt or wall hanging and stepping outside of the "Traditional" quilting box. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:17 PM

Default SAQA Art Quilt Definition (Revised)

This was the latest News posting on Studio Art Quilt Associates at http://www.saqa.com/hotnews.php?ID=285

"The art quilt is a creative visual work that is layered and stitched or that references this form of stitched layered structure."

Visit the above link for the complete description (a short paragraph worth reading), of an art quilt and why it was revised. I didn't post the entire statement in case this is not allowed for me to do so here.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Beautiful and inspiring wall art quilt. Art is in the eye of the beholder, no matter what the medium one uses....
Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

All the quilts posted are very beautiful. I am also interested in trying this, but I can't drop the feed dogs on my machine, it is very old.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judebug View Post
Thanks for your positive feedback on my South Bound art quilt. This photo was taken from my back deck and is typical of our beautiful sunsets here in Alaska. It was the inspiration for my background fabric.
Judebug, your quilt is spectacular and the photo of the Alaskan sunset is awesome.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm also an art quilter. What I love about making art quilts is there are no rules. If a fabric that isnt cotton will give me the look I'm looking for I use it. Rulers, seam allowances, fabric grain etc all go out the window for me!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Art Quilt Challenge ~ Geometrics

I'm issuing this Art Quilt Challenge hoping to kick start some quilt activity among those interested in exploring art quilting. Open to all skill levels. No prizes here, just the reward of making art itself and sharing with others. You may create as many art quilts as you desire and post them anytime you wish. Please indicate in the Title of your posting that it is a Geometrics challenge piece. A short description of materials and techniques used would be nice as well but not required.

Here are the 'Rules'...
1. Size 12" x 12", or any shape that fits within a 12" square.
2. Three layers to include top, batting and backing with stitching used to secure all three layers.
3. Finished edges - may include binding or raw edge stitching.
4. Theme: Geometrics: straight lines and simple geometric shapes, e.g., circles and squares, used together to form a design or pattern.
5. Any color theme and choice of materials are allowed.

Depending on the response in March, I will issue a new challenge theme each month. The gauntlet has been thrown! Can't wait to see the results. Have fun.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

This is the first I've seen of this thead. Thanks for starting it. I've been a very traditional quilter and am slowly stepping into a new genre of quilting. I do consider my avatar an "art quilt". Why? Because it is out side the bounds of normal quilts--not in style, but in size. The logs are 3/4" cut (1/4" finished) 99% of my minis are used from leftover cuts from other projects. Rarely do I cut fabric for these, but go to my sorted bins for the right width and then use them. Here are a couple that I've crawled out of my box with.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t167742.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t152001.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t177153.html

Now to check out all the suggested links. Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 PM

I'm a quilter but stay with a pattern. I have been a professional artist and do oil paintings and bronze sculpture. I just might branch out someday!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM

Great thread. Thanks!