Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Harbor Freight Blades >
  • Harbor Freight Blades

• Harbor Freight Blades

Old 06-23-2011, 01:43 PM

My friend had the same problem she brought thekm to me because mine worked fine. They are packed with a oil on them. I cleaned them well and put them back in the cutter and they worked fine. Try cleaning the oil off but be very careful they are really really sharp...
    Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM

I am a firm believer of returning everything!!!! Be it food or blades, My money is too important to pay for an inferior item. Glenda
    Originally Posted by jljack
    Be sure you take them back to the store and tell them they are dull. The ones I bought online are fine.
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM

they aren't a waste of my money. i have had good success with them cutting through multiple layers and accurately. i figure i could throw away a lot of them and still have saved money.
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Originally Posted by sunflower126
    After reading all of the wonderful comments about these blades I went to HF and bought 6 pkgs. They were on sale. However I am very disappointed. The first two blades cut through a single layer only and leaving several threads uncut. The last two blades won't even cut through a single layer. I've tried turning the blades over thinking I may have put it on wrong. Anyone else have these problems? Bought them awhile ago and didn't save receipt so I guess I'll have to save my JoAnn's coupons and go invest in the real thing. UGH!
    I wonder if you didn't realize there are 2 blades in the package and put both in your cutter? They don't work at all that way LOL
    I was aware that there are 2 blades in the package.
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    Originally Posted by JoanneS
    Originally Posted by sunflower126
    After reading all of the wonderful comments about these blades I went to HF and bought 6 pkgs. They were on sale. However I am very disappointed. The first two blades cut through a single layer only and leaving several threads uncut. The last two blades won't even cut through a single layer. I've tried turning the blades over thinking I may have put it on wrong. Anyone else have these problems? Bought them awhile ago and didn't save receipt so I guess I'll have to save my JoAnn's coupons and go invest in the real thing. UGH!
    I wonder if you didn't realize there are 2 blades in the package and put both in your cutter? They don't work at all that way LOL
    I wonder that too.
    I am well aware that there are 2 blades in the package.
    Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM

I have a full table 3'x5' matt under everything and when I cut on that i get skipped threads with most any cutter. but when i pull out my smaller, finer grain cutting matt, everything cut fine with the same blade. sometimes it is not the blade but the mat on which you are cutting that makes the difference
    Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 PM

I am saying this only because it happened to me, but were there multiple blades in one package...did you happen to get two blades stuck together and use them as one. When this happened to me, the fabric was hard to cut and it frayed on the edge. The ones I used were "real" rotary cutting blades, but it still happened.
    Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM

I realize the price is right, but I think I'd leave Harbor Freight alone when it comes to quilting supplies. Love them for hardware and as I posted before I use their utitlity knife replacement blades as seam rippers. For my beautiful fabric I' not chancing anything other than Fiskars or Olfa.
    Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM

If you have one of the round rotary blade sharpeners with the sand paper in them (I've seen them several places) use that to sharpen the edges of the blades. I was having trouble also but used that to sharpen the edges a bit and I've been happy with them. Even bought a few more yesterday. Hope this works for you.
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:18 PM

I have not had a problem with Harrbor Freight Carpet blades. If they cut carpet, they would certainly cut material. But like everything else, you can get a dud.