Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

My first sewing was in home ec in high school - can still hear the teachers voice in my head "....son get the pins out of your mouth!" and my first cross stitch kit given to me by my ex SIL last longer that she did! So 41 years now. Quilting about 9 months.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM

I really didn't have any hobbies until we became empty nesters. I always have wanted to quilt as my grandmother and her sisters were always quilting when we would go visit but got into scrapbooking for about 7 yrs. Still had that nagging desire to quilt so I decided to do it! I taught myself and am still learning.I thoroughly enjoy it and find it very relaxing. Have learned so much from this board and feel like I know some of you personally.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 AM

Started with primary embroidery as a little girl (maybe six or seven?) embroidered dresser scarves, pillow cases, tea towels,table cloths, and stuff in 4-H. I have been sewing since then, not steadily, but I made most all my clothes as a teen age girl (even my prom formals). Made my clothing for years and years, my boys' clothing, shirts for them and husband,suits for my youngest son after high school, curtains, drapes, recovered furniture, etc. Got into quilting about fifteen years ago. I am sneaking up on 78 years old, so I guess I have been at it for quite a while. ;)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 AM

the need for Barbie doll clothes-
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 AM

my mom sewed all my clothes and when i ask her to teach me she says 'there's the machine ' i was 10 yrs old , my first sewing project , i designed and sewed a summer top for myself that was 39 yrs ago and i'm still sewing , i sew my all my husbands shirts and design and sew my son's and g-sons shirts , and of course my fav is sewing quilts
Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM

i too crochet and can not read a pattern , but i can look at it and make it ,
Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 AM

I've been sewing for 46 years!! I started sewing when I was 14 and took home ec in junior high. I can remember how excited I was about it, being able to make something that I could wear was such an amazing act. My Dad thought it would be a passing phase, Dad, I know you can see me now, I'm still sewing and quilting and I love it more now than ever. It's my island of sanity and peace in an increasingly crazy world.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

My Mom used to make clothes for my older brothers when they were small - before and during the Depression. I think I was about 6 when she got me a potholder kit to embroider and I was off and running. Mom said that I made tiny stitches just like her grandmother - a high complement. I used to make aprons without a pattern and even did cross stich on gingham aprons for our church bazaar. Took home ec in high school, learned to make my own clothes and continued sewing and making my own clothes for years and years. I took a couple detours, knitting, crocheting, ceramics, then quilting and I haven't stopped. Even my sister said that quilting was the one thing I did consistently and did it well. I bought Georgia Bonesteel's Spinning Spools, where you got a pattern with plastic templates and two binders to put them in. I was basically a self-taught quilter and have only taken a few classes, but the more I do, the more I continue to love it. I don't hand quilt, but I do love to machine quilt.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:28 AM

Started out sewing yoyos for my GM's quilting bee at about four. Then doll clothes and my own clothes. I have tried every kind of needlework there is. Only thing I couldn't do was tatting cause I'm left handed and no one could teach me. I had to teach myself knitting, crocheting etc. My son just brought me a beautiful cross stitch from China. Plan to work on it watching (?) TV. It's a biggy so don't think it will be finished till Christmas. Why? Cause I love the joy of the colored fabrics, the fun of putting puzzles (?) together and the pride in the finished product.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:03 PM

I made my first doll quilt at age 5 and never stopped sewing.