Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM

Here is a new one I heard about. (have not tried it yet) I have fibroymalgia and wake up 17 times an hour, (sleep study) When I am home from vacation I am going to try this.
SOMNAPURE it also has Melatonin in it. :)
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM

I have used it for a long time. It helps me. There is also a 5mg. and a 10mg.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:59 AM

I have used it. It helps me get to sleep but I still wake up sometimes in the night!
Originally Posted by tutty
I'm ready to give this a go. I Never get a full nights sleep . Last night ,rather , morning I finally fell asleep 4:30 ish am !!!! Curious to know if anyone has tried melatonin and if they were able to sleep better and or any side effects I should be aware of !! Thank you, you are always sooooo helpful.
:wink:
Old 08-25-2011, 09:03 AM

Made my heart race. Had hot flashes. Thought I was past all that stuff so stopped. Only took it once. WOW

And the benadryl or the products with benadryl caused halucinations after using for a couple weeks. Really bad ones. I never wanted to close my eyes again for the rest of my life. Double WOW
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM

it didn't help me at all but mu husband uses it and helps him. He uses it when he was doing different shift changes and it messed with his sleep. Just bought another bottle the other day. I belief it's all natural so give it a try.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
Here is a new one I heard about. (have not tried it yet) I have fibroymalgia and wake up 17 times an hour, (sleep study) When I am home from vacation I am going to try this.
SOMNAPURE it also has Melatonin in it. :)
You have to be tired all the time!!!! I thought I didn't sleep. I get a few hours a night or morning and am rearing to go with a migraine of course.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
I worked in an ICU for quite a while and what we used for patients was Benadryl 25MG and Extra strength tylenol with it....take one and if not asleep an hour later you can take another one. One works very well for me. I take it about an hour before I want to go to sleep.
I actually fly on benadryl....I use melatonin, it helps turn my mind off so I can fall asleep easier...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Yes, I've tried it and it did work for me.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

I have used melatonin on and off for several years and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. It won't hurt you to try.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM

I have two children that have sleep issues. One has problems with insomnia along with a lot of other stuff, and the other takes meds for ADHD that end up getting him hyper at night.

Both take 2 mg of melatonin. It works ok to get them to go to sleep, but not always to stay asleep. The younger one is 7 and his pediatrician wants him to try 3 mg. He's very small for his age so I've been dragging my feet. The older one is 10 and has had insomnia since 18 months. He takes tranquilizers which help keep him asleep, but we need the melatonin to get him relaxed enough. He is big for his age, so we will be moving on to the tylenol/benadryl combo. It ends up equivalent to tylenol pm and not as addictive as other things.

The trick with any sleep assistance is to make sure you try it for a week or two before making any decision. Also, it may take a combination of things to make something work better.

Each person's body is different and will therefore react differently for everyone. A good suggestion is to talk to a pharmacist about OTC assistance that won't cause dependence or a need for a physician's visit.