Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 AM

This whole Irene thing is really freaking me out, too. I'm in Pennsylvania, and I've heard we may be like 90 mph winds, and after the earthquake, tornados, and torrentiel downpours we've been having lately, my fear is what this wind will do to our trees. We live in the woods, and lost so many already from the tornado. We plan to drain our pool a bit, too, so it doesn't overflow from the 12" of possibly rain. BTW, pool water is a great resource for flushing toilets!

On a lighter note, this is why you all need to get yourself a treadle or hand crank. Inclement weather causing power outages don't even make a difference in my sewing room. Everything is people powered!

Take care everyone, and prayers going out to you all.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 AM
elm

You sound a little like me when I lived in MA. and had to prepare for Northeasters. I always included large standing flashlight with florescent bulbs so I could see to read or do handwork. I knew I'd be safe, but because I live alone needed to protect myself from boredom.
Hope all goes well for you.
Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 AM

Time to oil up that treadle sewing machine! :-)
Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 AM

My prayers go up for all of you in the path of Irene. Keep your faith.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM

after Katrina I had no power for 30 days in the 100 degree heat, no cable for 35 days and no phone for 50 days. Att really came through, we did have water the Wed after she hit on Monday due to it was community water. I feel for all in it's path and pray for everyone.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 AM

I pray that you are safe and unharmed. God Bless!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:20 AM

hope that it weakens by the time it hets there
Old 08-26-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
I live in south Florida. About 6 years ago we had one hurricane after another. We lost power in one of those and we were without power for 6 weeks... yes, 6 weeks. We had a small generator that we had to keep switching from water heater to refrig. to fans, etc. You make it through... the first few days are all about cleaning up the streets. Neighbors helped neighbors with electric saws, etc. Those who didnt work outside made drinks, sandwiches, etc. for those working. The streets are often impassable for a couple of days. Be prepared to take care of yourself and neighbors for a few days. I have been in many many hurricanes and I never take one for granted. Once the storm bands start coming through... there is nothing to do but wait inside safe and sound. Many people are hurt preparing for the storm and cleaning up after the storm so be very careful during both events. It may be an easy storm or not... bottom line... be prepared and happy if you dont need extensive preparations.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Prayers to all of you that will be affeccted by this storm.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like boredom may be the least of your problems. Good to all affected.