Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • what's the worst thing you did... >
  • what's the worst thing you did...

• what's the worst thing you did...

Old 09-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Well, I was 16 years old and madly in love. We wanted to get married, but knew our parents wouldn't sign for us. So, we decided to runaway...had a friend with a car. We heard you could get married in GA at the age of 16 without consent, so away we went. We go to the court house, and find out we could get married at that age, but we had to be a resident of GA for 15 days. We barely had any money, so we knew that wasn't gonna work. We decided to head to Alabama. You had to be 21 to get married there, so we decided we would just have to go to Mexico...lol. We sang, "Hi, ho, hi, ho....off to Mexico we go...lol. We never did make it of course because we ran out of money and were starving. We turned ourselves in and our parents came to pick us up. A week later, we ran away again, but we stayed local. Our parents were so afraid we were gonna get ourselves killed that they gave in and signed for us. 25 years later, I still can't believe we did that. I still feel bad for putting my parents through that.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:53 AM

some friends and I changed political signs in front of the governor's mansion after party. I was a good kid. ha ha
    Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 AM

Oh how funny, the last time all of us were together, the youngest sister is 44 and I'm right at 60 and 3 more in between...we told mama some of the things we'd done such as sliding off the barn roof on cardboard, tieing one sister to a small tree and pulling it back and her flying forward to the ground, we thought we'd killed her...and lots of other mischief 5 kids with lots of cousins can get into... she said she ought to give us all a beating. The worst that ever happened were mostly cuts and bruises but my brother did get a very bad broken leg once.
    Old 09-10-2011, 05:07 AM

Some friends and I ran out the side door of the auditorium during a concert of a professional orchestra (sigh.. I LOVE going to hear orchestras now...) and a teacher chased us for blocks! We were all called into the principals office the next Monday and I begged, with lots of tears, "PLEASE don't call my parents!?" He must have had compassion on me... I served my time with thanks! My folks would have been mortified...

That was it... sophomore year... what a dope! NEVER AGAIN...

and yes,... I'm pretty boring... :-D

and I'm loving reading this thread!!
    Old 09-10-2011, 06:02 AM

I hated school at age 8-9 so was very good at faking illness to stay home (both my parents worked) and watch the mid-day movie. I would put a finger down my throat to vomit, rub a thermometer on the sheet to raise the temperature, rub talcum powder on my face so I looked pale etc. After a genuine bout of flu I wasn't looking forward to returning to school, so started late at night saying that I had a stomache ache. Eventually my parents called our doctor, who said I had appendicitis and raced me off to hospital, where I was operated on the next day. I never said a word about it being a great con (since I was happy about a few weeks off school) and 50 years later neither of my parents know the truth!
    Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Here's one my parents knew about. Sorry to be gross - when I was about 4 I shoved modeling clay up my nose. The reason - I wanted to see what would happen. What happened was I couldn't breathe. Thank goodness for my Aunt Olga's long nails. That's the only strange bad thing I did.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:12 PM

I had so much good old time religion, Roman Catholic religion that is, I went to Catholic school and between the nuns and my folks I learned to behave and obey the laws and the rules.

I truly Never did anything shameful. Not a Saint by ANY means, just had clean fun without any hitches. To this day I am a practicing Roman Catholic and raised my kids in the same way. My kids never made me go through any bad stuff. (I pray my daily scripture through my Rosary, which helps keep us all on the path) Thanks to God :-D :thumbup:
    Old 09-12-2011, 03:53 AM

When I was 17 I had a summer job in the kitchen of a hospital. One of the girls I work with boyfriend was heading to Viet Nam she gave him a going away party. I spent the night with another friend who lived in the city and we went to the party. My parents knew nothing. Well that night I drank everything from beer to whiskey, mixed it all up. We got back to my friends around 3 am laid down to 5am then got up and went to work. Oh I was so sick don't know how I made it. My mom picked me up after work, kept looking at me all the way home. I was waiting for the hammer to fall she never said a word. For Day I was shaking in my shoes just waiting. About 20 years later she told me she knew I was hung over but figured I was punished enough.
    Never drank much after that and always hated beer.
    Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by gspsplease
    I hated school at age 8-9 so was very good at faking illness to stay home (both my parents worked) and watch the mid-day movie. I would put a finger down my throat to vomit, rub a thermometer on the sheet to raise the temperature, rub talcum powder on my face so I looked pale etc. After a genuine bout of flu I wasn't looking forward to returning to school, so started late at night saying that I had a stomache ache. Eventually my parents called our doctor, who said I had appendicitis and raced me off to hospital, where I was operated on the next day. I never said a word about it being a great con (since I was happy about a few weeks off school) and 50 years later neither of my parents know the truth!
    You mean you took the con right through an operation???? That's hilarious!
    Old 09-12-2011, 06:51 AM

I was a classic "goody two shoes" kind of girl.....didn't do anything to brag about.....:(