Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sitting here stumped... >

sitting here stumped...

sitting here stumped...

Old 10-02-2011, 04:21 PM

I now keep a basket on top of a baby wardrobe in here. I have magazines-with the fabric , books with fabric, copies with fabric. this helps me stay on track. I also have a direction to go in because I pulled fabric for it. If I need to collect fabric, I have place to see it. The other day I found one that just set my britches on fire......I had a friend mail me some of her scraps, so I located the pattern.....and my new system was out the window......My basket is still over there waiting.........Don't ask me...I need help myself.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM

I always get new ideas in my head while finishing the current project. Then clean my sewing room and start on the next. I keep stacks of fabric in order of what I want to start on. Plus stash in bags with a pattern. I'll never live long enough to finish my list in my head!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Start with a pattern or two - then "shop" in your stash.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
I just finished the last quilt in my "to do"list," and I am playing with what to make next. I find this the hardest part of my quilting. Once I have made up my mind, then I just relax and sew.

How do you decide what to quilt next, if all your to-do projects are done? I have been looking at my stash. Should I select a fabric I like and then build around that. Should I look at patterns and select one I like and then look at my fabric?

I know there is no right and wrong way, but I seem a direction to go, and, other than stacks of fabric all around me, and pieces laid across my design wall, I just seem to be stumped.

What works best for you?
I never FINISH my to do list. Usually a project comes up before I've finished anything and I just put things aside to do the current project. Then when that is finished, the dilemma is which project to go back to.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Something I like to do if I don't have a current project to do is make sampler blocks. I pick out a few that I've wanted to try and different scraps, etc. to make them from. When I have made 3 or 4, and one of them was fun and I enjoyed it a lot, then that will be my next project and I'll use that as the base for my next quilt.
Sometimes it's the first or second one that trips my trigger, so that's when I am inspired and put away the samplers and start the next project.
It's a fun way to collect blocks for a sampler quilt and to try new things while you are at it.
:D
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Like a lot of quilters here. I have never finished my to do list. I have always been adding to it so it never gets shorter.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM

LOL, I didn't mean to imply I had ever finished my list. I was just saying how I decided which item to choose to tackle next. Lol, I won't be able to finish all the ones I want to do and all my dedicated ones unless I live to be reallyyyyyyyyyyyy reallyyyyyyyyyyyyy old.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Something I like to do if I don't have a current project to do is make sampler blocks. I pick out a few that I've wanted to try and different scraps, etc. to make them from. When I have made 3 or 4, and one of them was fun and I enjoyed it a lot, then that will be my next project and I'll use that as the base for my next quilt.
Sometimes it's the first or second one that trips my trigger, so that's when I am inspired and put away the samplers and start the next project.
It's a fun way to collect blocks for a sampler quilt and to try new things while you are at it.
:D
i love this idea. bunches of thanks.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM

I have never had all of my projects done. I have no idea what that feels like. You are truly amazing. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM

Do you subscribe to magazines? Do you search the web for freebie quilt patterns? Or do you go to your brick and mortar stores and look at their samples? Can you attend any of the quilt shows from your local guilds? I cannot imagine not having a project in the works. And that is a good thing.