Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help me see this from another perspective, please >
  • help me see this from another perspective, please

• help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 PM

Two quilts represent a lot of time and money on your part. Any organization that does not recognize this is obviously receiving too many contributions. Maybe you should find a charity that needs your quilts and appreciates all the time and effort that goes into making them.
    Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM

After Katrina I sent money & baby quilts to an organizations helping the people of LA. Not long after I happen to catch a live interview with the mayor of New Orleans (Nagin?) talking about the money the government had just promised to help rebuild. The mayor said he hoped no Mexicans would be there on the construction crews. Being Mexican American this was a major verbal slap in the face. I never expected thanks or acknowledgment for what I had sent because of the chaos but also did not expect that type of insult.
    I know the thousands of people who badly needed help had no control over what their mayor would say, he & other politicians let them down. But it hurt. Strange thing is I never saw that interview rebroadcast or comments about it, I think it was an impromptu interview & I just happen to catch it.
    As a result when I am doing a charity project I concentrate on putting some prayers & love into the project that will hopefully help the receiver & try very hard not to think of the charity organizers distributing the projects.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Know one knows the value of a quilt like a quilter. The receiving party may not of know/understood the time and effort that you put into the project. With all that being said, I think that you have reason to be a little miffed. You also didn't say how you got into the project. If it were me, I think that I would chalk this up to experience. Just because were quilter, it doesn't give people the right to use us.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM

There are so many charities out there. I would find one that has a better response rate. Just consider this a lesson learned. Some people have no idea that a quick acknowledgement of receipt is not only polite, but important.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

I can see that it is upsetting....I have been teaching myself this thought lately and maybe it can help in your situation....but sometimes things don't often appear as they seem, you sent it and should have gotten an acknowledgement, she forgot to email you, maybe something happened in life that we don't know about which hindered her thinking process. I would give it another chance and see what happens. Sometimes we make big mistakes that hurt each other with out that intention.
    Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM

Wow, I don't know where I fit in here. Anything I give I give anonymously and put tracking on it. That's just the way I am about it.

I'd say follow your heart.
    Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 PM

I have been upset with some charities and organizations because they forget to communicate properly. If they would take a few minutes to get more organized, they could solve a lot of issues and keep the people willing to lend a hand around a lot longer and willing to do more.
    Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM

When postal rates started getting so high I looked around our community to find places to donate too so I would not have to pay all that postage. Why not find some place closer and spend that extra money on supplies?
    Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 AM
    Power Poster

Common courtesy is all we ask.
    Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 AM

did you ever think maybe she chose to keep the quilts then feel guilty about it and just put off sending a card I know people from around here who volinter to work in 2 different thrift stores and they are very open about it saying if something nice and they want they just take it insteard of putting it out where it should go makes me wonder how many places do this I am very careful who I donate to maybe I am to fussy