Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • Starred and Feathered top is done! >
  • Starred and Feathered top is done!

• Starred and Feathered top is done!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Gorgeous!!! It reminds me of a snowflake! Sweet!
    THAT! that is what I was thinking everytime I looked at your quilt, but I just couldn't figure out what my head was interpreting! a SNOWFLAKE ... exactly! with the light background, and the cool type colors ... it all just fits perfectly!

Honest people know when they have done a good job ... and, conversely, when we slop through it, we know .... a compliment is a good thing for the receiver, as well as the giver - - give credit where credit is due.
    To be able to trust the opinion of those applauding ... that is a true gift ...
    Enjoy the moment, cherish the activity as much as the response ...
    Good job!
    Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Stunning!!! I think you shoulld enter it in your fair. Great job and great colors. :-)
    Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Thank you so much. I AM very happy with it. It's one of those that the more I see it, the more I like it. Sometimes, the more you look at something the less you like it but, not this one.

It's been a long time since I hand quilted, it must be two years now. I'm going to have to do some practicing before I tackle it.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Thank you so much. I AM very happy with it. It's one of those that the more I see it, the more I like it. Sometimes, the more you look at something the less you like it but, not this one.

It's been a long time since I hand quilted, it must be two years now. I'm going to have to do some practicing before I tackle it.

You built in some great areas to show off hand quilting in this quilt. Have you starting designing yet? I see feathers in my mind's eye. That was my favorite thing to do when I could still hand quilt.
    Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 AM

I've thought about quilting designs and feathers do come to mind. I don't know why but there is something about them that I have never totally liked.

Stars are an obvious choice but maybe too obvious. I don't think flowers will do, that would be in total contrast to the design of the quilt.

I have thought of suns. A circle with points radiating out in the feathered star areas. It ties in with the stars and it has the element of the points. It would add a circular shape to all the straight lines of the design but wouldn't be a total departure from it.
    Old 04-18-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    You should DEFINITELY enter it in a fair!!! I might try a feathered star one day...!

K x
    I hope you do. I used the Marti Michell template set P. The only thing I might not agree with is cutting all those little HSTs individually and sewing them into squares. It would be more efficient, and probably more accurate, to sew the squares on both sides of a center line and cut them apart. I found that sewing a scant 1/4" wasn't going to work. When I did that the row of HSTs was a bit too long for the side of the square or triangle they get attached to. I had to resew a couple of seams in the row of HSTs a needles width to make them fit.

I know you can do anything you set your mind to and all this one takes, for me anyway, is to sew slowly to make sure the seam allowance is as accurate as I could get it.

I also starched the fabric very well and don't handle anything more than you have to, especially the outer large triangles. I don't even pick up a work in progress by it's edges, no matter what it is. I slide my arms under it and lift it.
    Old 05-16-2009, 09:05 AM

Pam! Tht is lovely and the colors are great. Never thot to use log cabin for a border... Did you design the pattern?
    Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 AM

Thank you. :-) Yes, I designed it. I originally designed large log cabins around the border but it didn't look right so I did the 6" ones in a pattern that echos the feathers on the star.
    Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 AM

Great quilt!
    Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Who is the "cutie" in your avitar?