Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does reorganizing quilting room lead to lost items? >

Does reorganizing quilting room lead to lost items?

Does reorganizing quilting room lead to lost items?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 AM

I have a magnet that says, "Creative minds are rarely tidy."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My sewing room can vouch for that.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 AM

I'm missing 6 yards of holly fabric I know is somewhere you think I could find it? Nopo still missing. It's driving me crazy.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM

I usually start with my quilting books. Finally listed titles and authors in an Excel Spreadsheet and placed a copy on my phone. Now when I'm tempted to purchase another book (like I really need another book), I check my spreadsheet, and hope it's up to date.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I know what you mean. We finally put all material on magazine board bought from Amazon and have it standing on our closet shelf so we can see it like at a fabric store. It has helped. We did find material and asked ourselves - why. LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM

I moved in October and I'm missing some critical quilting stuff, including my 3 tape measures. I should buy another one but I'm hesitating as I know that as soon as I do, the 3 missing ones will magically appear. But measuring fabric with the metal tape measure from my tool box is driving me nuts!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM

There is actually a reason for this: there is a brain connection. Quite a few folks have less than optimal functioning in the area of the brain that makes internal maps of where things are. For these folks, once it is out of sight it is literally out of mind. Interesting reading: The Women who changed her brain". it is a book about an educator in Canada, Toronto area, that had learning disabilities that she trained her brain out of by learning which areas of the brain controlled what and then devising exercises to retrain that part of the brain. I'm a psychotherapist who works with mood and ADHD disorders. I'm inclined to believe that lots of people have minimal brain injuries/differences that they just learn to live with. Retraining would be such a better idea. Too bad we can't get that across, training versus treating symptoms. That said, i clean and categorize then i promptly forget where it is unless i identify it somehow on an external map. I'll know i have it or had it but won't know where it is and sometimes it is just easier to get another one.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Oh quite contrary...mine usually results in finding items I purchased and stashed, forgot about!! It's all fun until you realize how many "projects" are on the list! Happy cleaning...mine has to all get put away this week for company. Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM

I had a boss tell me once after I had reorganized his desk while he was home sick - - -
If I ever did that again, I was fired!! :-)

And then there is always the old saying: An "organized person" will never know the joy of finding something you thought you had lost forever! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I am still looking for things that I put away in my sewing room from last year.
You are not the only one. I cleaned up my sewing/quilting stuff last summer and have lost a circle cut ruler, my 6 inch omnigrid ruler I use at my sewing machine, my book on the 10 minute block I had used one time.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
Oh yes, I believe gremlins live in my sewing room. LOL
And they get angry when you try to make things better and hide more things!!!