Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Record of quilts

Record of quilts

This may have been discussed before but I missed it. I thought about making a book with photos & their information. Does anyone have a better way to have a record of all the quilts made?
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

That is what I used to do...until I somehow kept forgetting to take pictures before I gave the quilts away. I think it is a good way as long as you keep up with it.

I started one a while ago and came across it a couple of weeks ago. It was really nice to see all the quilts that I made a while ago. One was made for my neice who just left for college a couple of months ago.

I don't have any recommendations but find one place where you can write a lot. It takes you back to the time you spent working on it.

Blog Entries
    i've kept a 'quilt journal' for years (although not every project has been making it in...)
    it is a 3-ring binder- I put in fabric swatches, notes about the quilt (who it's for, what pattern i used, anything special, what batting i used, size, dates, what ever i think is worth adding at the time) any notes about problems...what ever & pictures ---sometimes of the steps involved- sometimes just a finished product. sometimes a picture of it with a ribbon- or with the person it's for...some quilts have various pages- some only one page...it's nice sometimes to be able to look though it- sometimes i'm surprised- gosh i forgot all about that quilt! I think i have 3 binders to date-and probably need to pick up another one. I also have plastic sleeve (envelopes) in the binder- they were fairly inexpensive- picked up 100 clear sleeves at the office supply- i can slide things into the plastic sleeve that i don't want to punch holes into- they already have the 3-holes & fit the binders.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My brother and his wife gave me a software program where I can record the quilts I have made and include a lot of information such as date made, the name of the pattern, dimensions, type of quilting, etc. It also allows you to make greeting cards and other things using the pictures of your quilts. It comes with a CD which has an user guide for downloading and using the program. I just sent a card to my brother for his birthday. It is really neat. After the holiday rush, I will be adding my quilts to this neat album. www.quiltalbum.com

I have a spreadsheet where I record every quilt, its dimensions, which shows it's been in (just local non-judged shows), recipient if I've given it away, any other pertinent information. I also keep a folder with sub-folders for multiple pictures of each quilt. I'm totally digital and don't want to print out any of the information, but it's there if I want to refer back to it. (And yes, I do have regularly scheduled automatic backups.)

Blog Entries
    I used to keep an album, but the problem with that was friends and family who are not in my geographical area wanted to see the quilts, but couldn't. My husband suggested a blog, which turned out to be not just a great idea, but a lot of fun, also! Friends and family get to see not just the finished quilts, but the processes, design and fabric decisions I make and the reasoning behind them. The guys don't care that much, but the women on both sides of my family are very interested. I've also made a lot of friends through blogging that I wouldn't otherwise have ever known.

When I first decided a blog was a good idea, I had a friend in Michigan who was also interested in blogging about her quilts. She was hesitant to do it alone, so we joined forces. We've been blogging together for 4-5 years and have met twice - once in Paducah 2010 and once in Houston 2012. The great thing about our partnership is we started out at polar opposites; she was modern, I was traditional. But as our friendship has grown, so have our preferences and tastes. It's been a blast to grow with her.

Blog Entries
    I take pictures of all quilts I make and also all those that I quilt for other people and have put them in an album.

I'm jealous of all you guys who keep up with the journals. I bought one a few years ago, and have nothing in it. lol I am so disorganized!!! My aunt, on her 50th anniversary displayed her scrap book with pictures, fabric samples of her brides maids dresses (made by her, of course), and all the cards from her showers. I was impressed. I have started taking pictures of finished projects--probably the last 3-4--it's a start I guess.
    Sue

Thanks for all the great ideas. Now we have to get busy and get it done!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    American Quilter's Society maintains Myquiltplace.com I have my quilt page where I upload pictures and comments on my quilts. It provides a slide show, so others can also see your quilts, so friends can go there too. I also look at the gallery and admire others quilts. I joined this site when it first started and now there are thousands of members. It also has interest groups such as a quilting bee, and applique group, etc. Anyway I keep my record of past quilts there. I hope you will check it out - http://myquiltplace.com
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

[QUOTE=susie-susie-susie;5732792]I'm jealous of all you guys who keep up with the journals. I bought one a few years ago, and have nothing in it. lol I am so disorganized!!! My aunt, on her 50th anniversary displayed her scrap book with pictures, fabric samples of her brides maids dresses (made by her, of course), and all the cards from her showers. I was impressed. I have started taking pictures of finished projects--probably the last 3-4--it's a start I guess.

susie, We all have to start somewhere My problem is keeping up with it

After each quilt is done I take a picture of it, and, if it is made for someone specific I like to also have a picture of it with that person.

I do have a beautiful (about 10x7") spiral notebook with a double page (facing each other) in which I put the thread color numbers and for what each was used, and stitch # for each different type of stitch. Let me tell you, I refer to it again and again. I'm not a "block" quilter, but do more or less original designs, and having the exact stitch (along with it's width and length) and the exact thread noted saves me all sorts of time!

My pictures are on my computer and on dvds, but I want to have printed copies put into my notebook also. Since I am basically "self-taught" I found myself "reinventing the wheel" too often and it is great to be able to go back and see what worked before for a specific effect.

Disclosure: I am NOT a "neat" quilter, my quilts aren't perfectly squared, my stitching isn't straight... etc. I simply cannot use patterns, both because I have a terrible time trying to figure them out and I HATE repetiton. Most of my quilts have been made for specific people, and even those which will be going to someone who needs the love or comfort I imagine the person and quilt my best for that image. Most of my quilts are OK, a few have been great (I know because, while I never will win a judged award, I have won "viewers' choice" a few times).

I keep my journal on an Excel spreadsheet with all pertinent information as well as pictures. Its a quick update each time, so not very time consuming and I can visit all the quilts I gave away when I want to : )

I meant to add that my sister in law was the one who introduced me to the Quilting Board which I have been enjoying ever since. Now she and my brother have gotten me the QuiltAlbum software.

I keep a picture file and a note file. They are on the computer and a flash drive. No more paper to store!

That is when I remember. I used to be better but have kinda slacked off.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    My brother and his wife gave me a software program where I can record the quilts I have made and include a lot of information such as date made, the name of the pattern, dimensions, type of quilting, etc. It also allows you to make greeting cards and other things using the pictures of your quilts. It comes with a CD which has an user guide for downloading and using the program. I just sent a card to my brother for his birthday. It is really neat. After the holiday rush, I will be adding my quilts to this neat album. www.quiltalbum.com
    Thanks for the link! I just took a look at it & am going to do this one also. I'm bad with documenting anything but the pictures!

SMILE I'm glad you are enjoying it Sis
    quilting in beautiful Ohio

I had an old 3 ring binder that i was putting pictures of projects in and a professional quilter( meaning she had a pattern published in a major magazine) challenged me to have one that was just my quilts. So i bought a photo album and put them in chronological order. I am on my second album, a little behind at the moment. I usually put a copy of the quilt label to identify the quilt. It's kind of nice to have when someone says'Bring in some of your quilts so I can see them'. It can be hard b/c A. I give most of them away. B. it's kind of bulky to bring a pile of quilts into a store or wherever. And C. What if something happened to one of my quilts? So I have my albums that I can drag around. I have some posted on Face Book and some ore posted on here. I'm good with that! So whatever you do, it's not too late to start.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

If you have ever bought any of the Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork and Quilting books, a free quilters' journal comes with it.

Thanks again, Laurie!

I keep a running tally of picture albums here and on Facebook. I have been quilting just short of a year. Now I can't put in samples of fabric but what I have done is made small potholders from the fabric of each. Sometimes it ends up a block from the quilt or just the colors used. ( I am behind in the potholder section with Christmas).
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    I just watched the Quiltalbum video. Gotta have that software! Thanks for the link Quilttiger.
    Sweet Caroline

Power Poster
    I have a photo album that holds the pictures of my quilts, although I have forgotten a few of them, however, I'm trying to do better with the pictures, especially the photos of the family reunion quilts I make every 2 years. When I was in rehab recovering from spinal surgery in March, the nurses and staff asked to see some of my quilts, so it came in very handy. Thought I had convinced one nurse to take a class from me, but she's undecided at the moment, so I was glad I had to album.

I keep journal pages in plastic sleeves in a notebook. I used a Word template and add photos, info on the quilt, when it was made and for who. If I haven't quite finished the project, I print in draft mode on plain paper. Once the project is complete, I print the journal page on photo paper. I've attached links to a couple of my journal pages.
    "Find Joy in the Journey"
    U..U, =^..^=, =^..^=

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast