Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt batting, just wondering. >

Rag quilt batting, just wondering.

Rag quilt batting, just wondering.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 AM

Question Rag quilt batting, just wondering.

I have sewn up rag quilts using three layers of flannel, it is lovely once washed and dried. But, when sewing my machine kind of skips at the block intersections. If I used a cotton fabric that frays, as some do more than others, in between the layers of flannel if it would work. It would help fray and be between the two pieces of flannel. I do like the rag quilts but they are heavy and this would cut down some on the heaviness. Just a thought, welcome any comments. I did use my walking foot as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

i make lots of raggy quilts for throws/couch cuddle blankets...i always use batting- like them fluffy/lofty...generally a nice cotton batt- warm & natural, hobbs 80/20 (is a favorite). i've made a couple with flannel in the middle- they ragged ok- but were awfully - flat- i think the ones with layers of fabric- flannel, homespuns or regular cottons are heavier than ones with batting- which gives them a fluffy loft- a lightweight batting is less weight than yards of flannel-
just my thoughts.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Many people make rag quilts out of homespun, which is a more loosely woven cotton fabric than regular quilting cotton. It frays well and is lighter than flannel. Your idea of using cotton as one of the layers would also work, but depending on how tightly woven the cotton is, it might take a bit more time to fray.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i make lots of raggy quilts for throws/couch cuddle blankets...i always use batting- like them fluffy/lofty...generally a nice cotton batt- warm & natural, hobbs 80/20 (is a favorite). i've made a couple with flannel in the middle- they ragged ok- but were awfully - flat- i think the ones with layers of fabric- flannel, homespuns or regular cottons are heavier than ones with batting- which gives them a fluffy loft- a lightweight batting is less weight than yards of flannel-
just my thoughts.
I am thinking that the raggy quilts you are talking about the seams are not exposed? I like the fluffy feel as well, it just says warm to me. Have to think on this one, Christmas is a few days off and then New Years, so will not have any chance to do anything. My aim is to use up some flannel that should be used. Thanks
Old 12-22-2012, 08:41 AM

As for the skipping of stitches when going over the seams, what type of machine do you have? On my Pfaff I disengage the IDT and have no problem.

I prefer the W&N or Hobbs as ckcowl states. My concern with too loosely woven fabric is will it continue to separate/fray inside the block after a lot of use and washing.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Great information! Thkx
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM

I use warm and natural batting and flannel fabrics when I make ratty quilts. I cut my flannels 8 1/2 inch square and the batting 7 1/2 square. I sew an X across after I have sandwiched them. I make my ratty quilts with the exposed seams and have never had any problems sewing across seams.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:24 PM

A larger needle would help your skipping problem. I just finished a project where I was sewing through 5 layers of cotton, and was getting skipping. So I changed the needle from a size 11 to a size 18 and that solved it!
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 PM

I do not put batting in rag quilts.

When I use denim on one side I use flannel on the other.

Otherwise I use two layers of flannel. It is warm enough and does not take all day to dry.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
A larger needle would help your skipping problem. I just finished a project where I was sewing through 5 layers of cotton, and was getting skipping. So I changed the needle from a size 11 to a size 18 and that solved it!
Now why didn't I think of using a larger needle? Will try that out.