Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is your favorite part of quilting? >

what is your favorite part of quilting?

what is your favorite part of quilting?

Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Finishing the top so I can see the almost finished project. And seeing the happiness when I give it to someone.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Does she have a web site? Do you have pics of the work she has done for you? I love to piece when all is going well...
Originally Posted by Vat View Post
I am not rich but do send all my large pieces out , from Alabama to Indiana. There is a lovely lady in West Point that does wonderful work and is very reasonable. Her name is Viki Kirby, you might like to try her.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 PM

I love all the phases from choosing a pattern to shopping for fabric (the best part of that is when I can get my daughter to go with me!) to cutting and piecing and seeing the completed top up on my design wall to seeing someone's joy in receiving it. I admit, I have a fabulous LAQ who does all my quilts (but I am not wealthy!) and don't FMQ quilt, (tried many times and just sucked at it) but she has convinced me that I'm still a Quilter. I do bind everything myself and that is relaxing. I love contacting sewnsewer2 and working with her designing each label and finishing each quilt with something personal. The last stitch I put in is the final one attaching the label. Then I can give it away and make someone warm and happy. :-)
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 PM

This is so much fun. I love hearing everyone's answers and how we all differ so much!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Since I'm always in the mood for piecing I guess that has to be my favorite... I just love seeing the parts come together to make blocks! I think that's why I love scrappy quilts so much because each block is different. I hope that thrill never goes away.

Planning, quilting and binding are also very enjoyable to me. Cutting and assembling the blocks into a top are tasks that I tend to put off but enjoy once I get started. Sandwiching is a stall point for me so I try and do several at a time to get past it and get back to the fun stuff.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Power Poster

Quilting and binding...I especially love hand stitching the binding on the back....very soothing and satisfying.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 AM

The only part I don't like is the quilting.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 AM

I also like all parts, but I think my favorite might be piecing that first block - always get excited about the whole project once I can start to see it in my fabric choices. Actual quilting can get tedious for me as I am still doing straight line or all over simple fmq.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:33 AM

I like so many parts of the process: piecing, pressing the pieces, trimming, hand sewing the binding on the back. I don't like choosing colors on my own so I go for kits a lot. What does stand out that I don't especially like is what Lori S said: the thought of shoving and wrestling a large quilt through my regular machine makes me cringe. Well said!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 PM

Although I enjoys all aspects of quilting, I get satisfaction when giving the quilt to the intended person. This weekend, we traveled to Ft. Stewart, Ga. to present the Quilts of Valor quilt that I made for my grandson, who returned from his second tour of duty in Afghanistan this past November. The pattern came from viewing Jenny Doen's tutorial on missouristarquiltcompany, titled Star Spangled Patriotic Quilt. Just watching the tutorial a couple of times, worked fine,
thanks to Jenny. I recently joined the local Quilts of Valor group ,and plan on attending the February 1st National Quilts of Valor sew Day. I encourage all quilters to participate.